Greetings all,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share three publications that were published
during the course of my PhD project on the immunotoxicity of pharmaceuticals on
harbour seal (Phoca vitulina) leukocytes.

Immunotoxic effects of single and combined pharmaceuticals exposure on a harbor
seal (Phoca vitulina) B lymphoma cell line
C. Kleinert, E. Lacaze, M. Mounier, S. DeGuise, M. Fournier

The potential risk of pharmaceuticals in the environment to top-predators is
still largely unknown. In this study, we assessed the immunotoxic effects of
ten pharmaceuticals individually and as mixtures on a harbor seal (Phoca
vitulina) B lymphoma cell line. A significant reduction in lymphocyte
transformation was observed following an exposure to 12,500 μg/L 17α-ethinyl
estradiol and 25,000 μg/L naproxen. Exposure to 12,500 μg/L 17α-ethinyl
estradiol decreased the percentage of cell in the G0/G1 phase of the cell cycle
while increasing the percentage of cells in the S phase. Carbamazepine exposure
increased the amount of cells in the G2/M phase. Binary mixtures showed
synergistic effects in lymphocyte transformation, cell cycle and apoptosis
assays. Concentrations inducing toxic effects in the cell line were similar to
those affecting fish in previous studies. The reduction of functional
activities of the immune system may lead to altered host resistance to
pathogens in free-ranging pinnipeds.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X1730156X?via%3Dihub
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X1730156X?via=ihub>

T lymphocyte-proliferative responses of harbor seal (Phoca vitulina) peripheral
blood mononuclear cells (PBMCs) exposed to pharmaceuticals in vitro
C. Kleinert, E. Lacaze, M. Fortier, M. Hammill, S. DeGuise, M. Fournier

The ubiquity of pharmaceuticals in the aquatic environment and the accumulation
in organisms of lower trophic levels have been documented. The immunotoxicity
of these xenobiotics has however been little investigated. This study assessed
the effects of pharmaceuticals on the immune responses of harbor seal
lymphocytes. Peripheral blood mononuclear cells isolated from harbor seal pups
were exposed to varying concentrations of 17α-ethinyl estradiol (250–50,000
μg/L), naproxen (500–100,000 μg/L), carbamazepine (500–100,000 μg/L),
erythromycin (750–150,000 μg/L) and binary mixtures thereof in vitro. All
individual compounds and mixtures inhibited lymphocyte proliferation. Mixture
effects were non-additive and predictive values overestimated the inhibition of
proliferation. Male pups were more sensitive to erythromycin exposure.
Comparison with the sensitivity of the 11B7501 cell line showed a higher
sensitivity of pups to individual compounds and the inverse trend for mixtures.
Based on our results, we hypothesize that pharmaceuticals may have the
potential to in- terrupt immune functions in harbor seals.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X17310287
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X17310287>

Dose-response relationships in gene expression profiles in a harbor seal B
lymphoma cell line exposed to 17α-ethinyl estradiol
C. Kleinert, M. Blanchet, F. Gagné, M. Fournier

The determination of changes in gene expression profiles with xenobiotic dose
will allow identifying biomarkers and modes of toxicant action. The harbor seal
(Phoca vitulina) 11B7501 B lymphoma cell line was exposed to 1, 10, 100, 1000,
10,000, or 25,000 μg/L 17α-ethinyl estradiol (EE2, the active compound of the
contraceptive pill) for 24 h. Following exposure, RNA was extracted and
transformed into cDNA. Transcript expression in exposed vs. control lymphocytes
was analyzed via RT-qPCR to identify genes with altered expression. Our
analysis indicates that gene expression for all but the reference gene varied
with dose, suggesting that different doses induce distinct physiological
immunotoxicity and relative dose in harbor seal leukocytes.
http://www.pagepressjournals.org/index.php/xeno/article/view/6702
<http://www.pagepressjournals.org/index.php/xeno/article/view/6702>

If you have problems accessing the publications, please let me know and I’ll
send you the pdfs.

Best wishes,

Christine Kleinert, Ph.D.
NSERC Visiting Fellow in a Canadian Government Laboratory

Environment and Climate Change Canada
Centre Saint-Laurent, Montréal, QC, Canada
Aquatic Contaminants Research Division // Division de la recherche sur les
contaminants aquatiques