Dear Colleagues,

We are very pleased to share with you our publication in the current issue
of Frontiers in Psychology:

Lima A, Sébilleau M, Boye M, Durand C, Hausberger M and Lemasson A (2018)
Captive Bottlenose Dolphins Do Discriminate Human-Made Sounds Both
Underwater and in the Air. Front. Psychol. 9:55. doi:
10.3389/fpsyg.2018.00055

*Abstract*
Bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) spontaneously emit individual
acoustic signals that identify them to group members. We tested whether
these cetaceans could learn artificial individual sound cues played
underwater and whether they would generalize this learning to airborne
sounds. Dolphins are thought to perceive only underwater sounds and their
training depends largely on visual signals. We investigated the behavioral
sound cues, played underwater and in the air. Dolphins recognized their own
sound cue after hearing it underwater as they immediately moved toward the
source, whereas when it was airborne they gazed more at the source of their
own sound cue but did not approach it. We hypothesize that they perhaps
detected modifications of the sound induced by air or were confused by the
novelty of the situation, but nevertheless recognized they were being
“targeted.” They did not respond when hearing another group member’s cue in
either situation. This study provides further evidence that dolphins
respond to individualspecific sounds and that these marine mammals possess
some capacity for processing airborne acoustic signals.

The paper can be found here:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpsyg.2018.00055/full

Or send any requests for copies directly to alimoul...@gmail.com

Best wishes,

Alice Lima

--
Alice de Moura Lima
Bióloga - Mestre em Zoologia - PPGZOO/UESC