Dear MARMAM:

We are pleased to announce the publication of the following paper in Marine
Mammal Science:

First record of humpback whale songs in Southern Chile: Analysis of
seasonal and diel variation.
Español-Jiménez, S. and van der Schaar, M. (2018). Mar Mam Sci.
doi:10.1111/mms.12477

Abstract:

Male humpback whales (Megaptera novaeangliae) produce complex, patterned
songs that are traditionally recorded on their breeding grounds. In this
work, we report results from the first continuous acoustic monitoring of a
humpback whale feeding ground off southern Chile, Corcovado Gulf. Using an
autonomous continuously recording system anchored to the seafloor and an
automatic signal detector, we used the units within a song to analyze the
temporal distribution and diel patterns of humpback whales. Acoustic
recordings were made at the end of the austral summer and autumn of 2012.
Songs occurred over the entire 130 d monitoring period, from 1 February to
15 June 2012. The percentage of units detected increased throughout the
monitored period with the highest detections in the last recorded month
(June), despite recording for fewer days that month. Furthermore, songs
were detected during all light regimes studied, but most frequently during
darkness. This study provides further evidence that, far from being rare or
sporadic, humpback whale songs occur commonly at a feeding ground in high
latitudes over different light conditions and in all months, with a peak in
autumn.

The paper is available here:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/mms.12477/pdf

or you can contact me at sonia.espanoljime...@gmail.com  for a reprint or