Dear All,

We are delighted to announce the publication of our paper in Scientific Reports:
Peletto S, Caruso C, Cerutti F, Modesto P, Biolatti C, Pautasso A, Grattarola
C, Giorda F, Mazzariol S, Mignone W, Masoero L, Casalone C, Acutis PL.
Efficient isolation on Vero.DogSLAMtag cells and full genome characterization
of Dolphin Morbillivirus (DMV) by next generation sequencing. Sci
Rep.<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29339753#> 2018 Jan 16;8(1):860. doi:
10.1038/s41598-018-19269-2.?
Abstract:
The Dolphin Morbillivirus (DMV) genome from the first Mediterranean epidemic
(1990-'92) is the only cetacean Morbillivirus that has been completely
sequenced. Here, we report the first application of next generation sequencing
(NGS) to morbillivirus infection of aquatic mammals. A viral isolate,
representative of the 2006-'08 Mediterranean epidemic (DMV_IZSPLV_2008),
efficiently grew on Vero.DogSLAMtag cells and was submitted to whole genome
characterization by NGS. The final genome length was 15,673 nucleotides,
covering 99.82% of the DMV reference genome. Comparison of DMV_IZSPLV_2008 and
1990-'92 DMV strain sequences revealed 157 nucleotide mutations and 47 amino
acid changes. The sequence similarity was 98.7% at the full genome level.
Whole-genome phylogeny suggested that the DMV strain circulating during the
2006-'08 epidemics emerged from the 1990-'92 DMV strain. Viral isolation is
considered the "gold standard" for morbillivirus diagnostics but efficient
propagation of infectious virus is difficult to achieve. The successful cell
replication of this strain allowed performing NGS directly from the viral RNA,
without prior PCR amplification. We therefore provide to the scientific
community a second DMV genome, representative of another major outbreak.
Interestingly, genome comparison revealed that the neglected L gene encompasses
74% of the genetic diversity and might serve as "hypervariable" target for
strain characterization.

You can find the article here: http://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-19269-2
Or send any enquires directly to me at: simone.pele...@izsto.it
<mailto:carla.grattar...@izsto.it>
Best regards,
Simone Peletto

Simone Peletto, PhD
S.S. Genetica e Immunobiochimica
Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale del Piemonte, Liguria e Valle d'Aosta
Via Bologna 148, 10154 TORINO - ITALIA
Tel. (+39) 011 2686245
e-mail: simone.pele...@izsto.it<mailto:simone.pele...@izsto.it>
www.izsto.it<http://www.izsto.it/>