Hi

We have just published a paper on the humpback whales migrating from multiple
Oceania breeding grounds, past the Kermadec Islands, New Zealand down to their
feeding grounds spanning ~4,500km of Southern Ocean.

Riekkola et al. 2018. Application of a multi-disciplinary approach to reveal
population structure and Southern Ocean feeding grounds of humpback whales.
Ecological Indicators, 89: 455-465

You can download the paper from this link and the abstract is below:

https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1WbNE,XRNLZ13c

If you have any questions email me at: r.constant...@auckland.ac.nz

Happy reading

Rochelle (on behalf of all authors)

Rochelle Constantine, Ph.D.
School of Biological Sciences
University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019
Auckland
New Zealand

Abstract

Obtaining direct measurements to characterise ecosystem function can be
hindered by remote or inaccessible regions. Next-generation satellite tags that
inform increasingly sophisticated movement models, and the miniaturisation of
animal-borne loggers, have enabled the use of animals as tools to collect
habitat data in remote environments, such as the Southern Ocean. Research on
the distribution, habitat use and recovery of Oceania's humpback whales
(Megaptera novaeangliae) has been constrained by the inaccessibility to their
Antarctic feeding grounds and the limitations of technology. In this
multi-disciplinary study, we combine innovative analytical tools to
comprehensively assess the distribution and population structure of this marine
predator throughout their entire migratory range. We used genotype and
photo-identification matches and conducted a genetic mixed-stock analysis to
identify the breeding ground origins of humpback whales migrating past the
Kermadec Islands, New Zealand. Satellite tracking data and a state-space model
were then used to identify the migratory paths and behaviour of 18 whales, and
to reveal their Antarctic feeding ground destinations. Additionally, we
conducted progesterone assays and epigenetic aging to determine the pregnancy
rate and age-profile of the population. Humpback whales passing the Kermadec
Islands did not assign to a single breeding ground origin, but instead came
from a range of breeding grounds spanning ?3500?km of ocean. Sampled whales
ranged from calves to adults of up to 67?years of age, and a pregnancy rate of
57% was estimated from 30 adult females. The whales migrated to the Southern
Ocean (straight-line distances of up to 7000?km) and spanned ?4500?km across
their Antarctic feeding grounds. All fully tracked females with a dependent
calf (n?=?4) migrated to the Ross Sea region, while 70% of adults without
calves (n?=?7) travelled further east to the Amundsen and Bellingshausen Seas
region. By combining multiple research and analytical tools we obtained a
comprehensive understanding of this wide-ranging, remote population of whales.
Our results indicate a population recovering from exploitation, and their
feeding ground distribution serves as an indicator of the resources available
in these environments. The unexpected Kermadec Islands migratory bottle-neck of
whales from several breeding grounds, variable distribution patterns by life
history stage and high pregnancy rates will be important in informing
conservation and management planning, and for understanding how this, as well
as other whale populations, might respond to emerging threats such as climate
change.