Dear colleagues,
We are pleased to share our new open-access publication;

Investigating microplastic trophic transfer in marine top predators -
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0269749117343294
Sarah E. Nelms, Tamara S. Galloway, Brendan J. Godley, Dan S. Jarvis, Penelope
K. Lindeque

Abstract
Microplastics are highly bioavailable to marine organisms, either through
direct ingestion, or indirectly by trophic transfer from contaminated prey. The
latter has been observed for low-trophic level organisms in laboratory
conditions, yet empirical evidence in high trophic-level taxa is lacking. In
natura studies face difficulties when dealing with contamination and
differentiating between directly and indirectly ingested microplastics. The
ethical constraints of subjecting large organisms, such as marine mammals, to
laboratory investigations hinder the resolution of these limitations. Here,
these issues were resolved by analysing sub-samples of scat from captive grey
seals (Halichoerus grypus) and whole digestive tracts of the wild-caught
Atlantic mackerel (Scomber scombrus) they are fed upon. An enzymatic digestion
protocol was employed to remove excess organic material and facilitate visual
detection of synthetic particles without damaging them. Polymer type was
confirmed using Fourier-Transform Infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy. Extensive
contamination control measures were implemented throughout. Approximately half
of scat subsamples (48%; n = 15) and a third of fish (32%; n = 10) contained
1–4 microplastics. Particles were mainly black, clear, red and blue in colour.
Mean lengths were 1.5 mm and 2 mm in scats and fish respectively. Ethylene
propylene was the most frequently detected polymer type in both. Our findings
suggest trophic transfer represents an indirect, yet potentially major, pathway
of microplastic ingestion for any species whose feeding ecology involves the
consumption of whole prey, including humans.

Best wishes
Sarah

Sarah Nelms
PhD Researcher

Plymouth Marine Laboratory
Prospect Place, The Hoe, Plymouth. PL1 3DH, UK.
01752 633 416
www.pml.ac.uk<http://www.pml.ac.uk/>

University of Exeter
Biosciences