Dear Colleagues,
We are pleased to announce our new open-access publication:

Kennedy, Amy S. and Clapham, Phillip J.  2018.  From Whaling to Tagging:
The Evolution of North Atlantic Humpback Whale Research in the West
Indies.  Marine Fisheries Review 79(2); 23-37.

Open-access paper:
https://spo.nmfs.noaa.gov/content/mfr/whaling-tagging-evolution-north-atlantic-humpback-whale-research-west-indies

ABSTRACT—North Atlantic humpback whales, Megaptera novaeangliae, migrate
from summer feeding grounds across the temperate and high latitudes to
breeding grounds in the West Indies each winter. Humpbacks over-wintering
near the Antillean islands comprise one of the most intensely studied
populations of large whales in the world. Since scientific research began
there in the late 1960’s, researchers have worked to describe humpback
distribution, abundance, and behavior in this major North Atlantic breeding
ground. The progression and advancement of research techniques used in this
region are largely representative of humpback studies worldwide. While
decades of line-transect, photographic identification, acoustic, and
genetic research have given us a good understanding of the occurrence and
distribution of humpbacks in much of the West Indies, gaps in our knowledge
still exist. This review describes the humpback whale research methods used
throughout the West Indies that have evolved over time, from whaling data
collection to modern day satellite telemetry, and summarizes the resultant
knowledge regarding humpback distribution, abundance, and behavior. For
conservation efforts within marine sanctuaries to effectively safe-guard
the popula- tion, increased multi-national research and collaboration is
needed to protect the North Atlantic humpback population from threats
encountered throughout its entire life cycle.

Please contact me if you have any questions or comments.
Cheers, Amy Kennedy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amy S. Kennedy, Ph.D.
Marine Mammal Research Biologist
Joint Institute for the Study of Atmosphere and Ocean
University of Washington
and
The Marine Mammal Laboratory
Alaska Fisheries Science Center