*DOLPHIN RESEARCH INTERNSHIP IN PORTUGAL*
*BACKGROUND: *The Marine Environment Research Association - AIMM, is a
non-profit, non-governmental organization focused on the research and
conservation of marine species, running an ongoing study of cetaceans in
southern Portugal (Algarve). This project aims to obtain baseline
information on species occurrence, behavior, and social structure of the
local cetacean populations in order to obtain scientific data to support
conservation measures and inform marine management policies.
The main species observed are Short-beaked common dolphins (Delphinus
delphis), Bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus), and Harbour porpoises
(Phocoena phocoena), although other species such as Minke whales
(Balaenoptera acutorostrata) and Fin whales (Balaenoptera physalus) can
also be sighted.
AIMM Interns are young, hard-working individuals who are willing to
contribute to the association and support on-going activities, while
experiencing fieldwork at sea, learning data collection and processing
methodologies, and being a part of AIMM's team of researchers and marine
biologists for a period of time. All team members and participants share
accommodation, house tasks, knowledge and experience in an environmental
friendly and multicultural environment.
Interns have the additional option to enrich their time with AIMM by
beginning or improving their SCUBA skills with a PADI-certified instructor.
*WHERE:* Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal
*WHEN:* The field season lasts from May 1 - October 31, 2017. The minimum
internship attendance is 7 days, preferably starting on a Monday.
*FIELDWORK: *The field trips are conducted in AIMM's research vessel,
Ketos, or in opportunistic platforms (commercial dolphin-watching boats).
Fieldwork is dependent on weather conditions and seat availability in the
dolphin-watching boats. Field days can be intense, especially in the peak
of summer, but are fulfilling and good fun. The interns will be trained to:
· Conduct on-board surveys of marine species occurrence;
· Record effort tracks on a handheld GPS;
· Collect data on behavior, group size, species, etc.;
· Collection of photo to photo-identification, acoustic recording,
and underwater videos while on-board.
*DATA ANALYSIS: *This will be conducted on a daily basis and will entail
entering data into established databases and spreadsheets,
photo-identification processing, and preliminary data interpretation.
*INTERNSHIP FEES:* AIMM is a non-profit organization that relies on
donations from our volunteers, partners, and conservation-minded people
like you so that we may continue our important research and education
programs in the Algarve. This internship requires a monetary contribution
which is used to off-set the cost of accommodation and running a
non-profit. For more information on internship fees for the 2017 season,
please contact: inte...@aimm-portugal.org
*Included* in the fee is:
· Accommodation in the research house;
· Transportation to/from the marina;
· Meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner);
· Fieldwork in the research vessel or commercial dolphin-watching
*Not included* in the fee is:
· Transportation to/from Albufeira;
· Meals in restaurants and snacks;
· Free time activities;
· Personal insurance (all participants should have health and/or
· Personal expenses.
*INTERNS ARE EXPECTED TO:*
· Be above the age of 16;
· Have a mature attitude towards marine mammal research and
· Be autonomous and flexible;
· Be able to live and work in an international team and mainly
outdoors at sea;
· Speak English;
· Participate for minimum 7 days.
*Preference will be given* to those who have:
· Relevant marine mammal field experience
· Working experience on research vessels
· Experience working from dolphin/whale watching platforms
· Experience in photo-identification
· Professional cameras that can be used for photo-ID
· Availability to stay for longer periods of time
*INTERNSHIP APPLICATION: *
Applicants should fill up the online application at:
After the confirmation e-mail, send your Resume/CV with updated photo and
personal statement on which are your expectations and why do you want to
work with AIMM to: inte...@aimm-portugal.org with the subject “Internship
Applicants will be contacted to arrange internship dates and details.
Applications will be accepted during all season, however, early application
is recommended due to limited vacancies.
*Contacts*: inte...@aimm-portugal.org | www.aimmportugal.org |
AIMM - Associação para Investigação do Meio Marinho / *Marine Environment
MARMAM mailing list