Dear

 olleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to share our new publication about
the
 Use of Cetaceans
 as Bait in Southern Bahia, Brazil
It can be downloade here:
http://ojs.ethnobiology.org/index.php/ebl/index
Ethnobiology Letters<http://ojs.ethnobiology.org/index.php/ebl/index>
ojs.ethnobiology.org
Ethnobiology Letters (EBL) invites manuscripts concerning ethnobiology, the
study of the relationships between humans and environments in diverse spatial
and temporal ...

or here:
http://ojs.ethnobiology.org/index.php/ebl/article/view/953
Use of Cetaceans as Bait in Southern Bahia, Brazil, by Expert Fishermen that
Market Shark Fins: A Lucrative Trade and Two Threatened Zoological Groups |
Barbosa-Filho | Ethnobiology
Letters<http://ojs.ethnobiology.org/index.php/ebl/article/view/953>
ojs.ethnobiology.org
Use of Cetaceans as Bait in Southern Bahia, Brazil, by Expert Fishermen that
Market Shark Fins: A Lucrative Trade and Two Threatened Zoological Groups

Abstract

In Brazil, despite the existence of a federal law prohibiting the capture and
harassment of marine mammals, the use of fat as fishing bait has been reported.
However, the processes of obtaining and using bait have not been described for
southern Bahia state. The objective of this study was to learn how these
processes occur in populations of fishermen along the southern coast of the
state and how to minimize the negative impacts on the cetacean population.
Semi-structured interviews about shark fishing and use of cetaceans as bait
were conducted with 65 shark fishers from Ilhéus, Una, and Canavieiras
municipalities in Brazil. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics with
percentage distributions. Fishermen emphasized the adipose tissue of dolphins,
whales, and porpoises as preferred bait for catching sharks. Of our sample,
81.5% of fishers knew about the use of fat as bait and 56.9% knew someone who
had caught cetaceans. Regarding beached whales, 67.7% reported knowing of their
use and 20% had used them. This study shows the interrelation of people’s use
of two zoological groups: cetaceans as bait, which represents a threat to the
group, and sharks for commercialization, a group in which 75% of species are
endangered. It shows the ecological impacts of these interactions. Protection
measures will only be effective when they approach the local culture in an
integrated manner by considering traditional customs that have developed from
centuries of exploitation.

Márcio Luiz Vargas Barbosa Filho

Mestre - Zoologia (UESC)
Doutorando - Etnobiologia e Conservação da Natureza (UFRPE)