It is with great pleasure that we announce the publication of our new paper:
New Determination of Prey and Parasite Species for Northern Indian Ocean Blue
Whales.

Abstract: Blue whales are little studied, face significant anthropogenic
threats and within the Northern Indian Ocean, have a restricted range, making
them an archetype for conservation needs of megafauna around the world. We
studied feeding behavior of blue whales using dietary DNA metabarcoding of
fecal samples. While globally blue whale populations feed predominantly on
Euphausiidae, 87% of prey DNA amplicons extracted from fecal samples from this
population were sergestid shrimp, demonstrating that blue whales can locate and
feed on dense swarms of other types of prey when they occur. Within the Indian
Ocean sergestids are present within the top 300 m, which correlates with the
deep scattering layer observed by hydroacoustics. Studies suggest that this
requirement to dive deeper in search of prey likely explains the prevalence of
fluke up diving within this population of blue whales relative to other parts
of the globe. Furthermore, this study revealed the presence of acanthocephalan
endoparasites within the stomach and intestines of the Northern Indian Ocean
blue whales. This represents the first record of Acanthocephala in blue whales
in the Northern Indian Ocean and highlights the need for further studies on
both the ecto- and endoparasitic flora and monitoring of health of these
cetaceans for their management and conservation.

Full citation: de Vos, A., Faux, C., Marthick, J.,  Dickinson, J., Jarman, S.
(2018), New determination of prey and parasite species for Northern Indian
Ocean Blue Whales, Front. Mar. Sci. 5: 104.

Full paper available at:
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2018.00104/full

Thanks
Asha