Dear colleagues

We have just published a paper based on satellite tracking of a large number of
bowhead whales. The paper demonstrates how sea surface temperatures can predict
the movements of these high arctic whales.

The article is available online here:

or read the abstract here:

The effects of climate change constitute a major concern in Arctic waters due
to the rapid decline of sea ice, which may strongly alter the movements and
habitat availability of Arctic marine mammals. We tracked 98 bowhead whales by
satellite over an 11-year period (2001-2011) in Baffin Bay - West Greenland to
investigate the environmental drivers (specifically sea surface temperature and
sea ice) involved in bowhead whale's movements. Movement patterns differed
according to season, with aggregations of whales found at higher latitudes
during spring and summer likely in response to sea-ice retreat and increasing
sea temperature (SST) facilitated by the warm West Greenland Current. In
contrast, the whales moved further south in response to sea temperature
decrease during autumn and winter. Statistical models indicated that the whales
targeted a narrow range of SSTs from ?0.5 to 2?°C. Sea surface temperatures are
predicted to undergo a marked increase in the Arctic, which could expose
bowhead whales to both thermal stress and altered stratification and vertical
transport of water masses. With such profound changes, bowhead whales may face
extensive habitat loss. Our results highlight the need for closer investigation
and monitoring in order to predict the extent of future distribution changes.

regards

Mads Peter Heide-Jørgensen
Professor, Dr. Scient.

[Grønlands Naturinstitut]   Pinngortitaleriffik
   Grønlands Naturinstitut
   Greenland Institute of Natural Resources

c/o Grønlands Repræsentation
Strandgade 91, 2.sal
DK-1401 København K, Danmark
Phone: +45 3283 3827  *  Cell phone: +45 4025 7943
Email: m...@ghsdk.dk<mailto:m...@ghsdk.dk>