Dear MarMam'ers

We are pleased to announce the recent publication in MEPS of our paper entitled
"The history and effects of seal-fishery conflicts in Denmark" on the
background and effects of historic hunting and culling on seal populations

Abstract
Growing marine mammal populations have led to renewed conflicts with fisheries
and discussions of culling as a management measure. In order to evaluate the
effects of such measures, lessons from previous culling efforts and historic
data on marine mammal abundance and distribution in response to different
hunting and management regimes are pertinent. Here, we combined multiple data
sources, including bounty data from the Danish seal culling programme of 1889
to 1927, zooarchaeological records, historical written accounts, 20th century
hunting statistics on seals and recent population survey data, in order to
assess the prehistoric and historic occurrence of seals in Denmark, and to
evaluate the effects of hunting and culling on seal populations, as well as its
efficacy as a mitigation measure in seal-fisheries conflicts. We found that
past conflicts were driven primarily by developments of passive fishing gear
technology in the late 19th century, and that—contrary to several modern
interpretations—the primary motivation for culling was damage to catch and
gear, not resource competition. Furthermore, we demonstrate that it took
decades of heavy-handed culling to minimize the historic seal-fisheries
conflicts. Moreover, the culling programme should be regarded in a broader
context, where preceding hunting had already decimated grey seal stocks, and
subsequent hunting led to an all-time low of a few thousand harbour seals in
the early 1970s. We recommend that 21st century seal-fisheries conflicts,
debates and associated management decisions should be seen in a historical
context, and that there should be an aim

Citation
Olsen MT, Galatius A, Härkönen T (2018) The history of human exploitation and
seal-fishery conflicts in Denmark. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 595:
233–243, doi: 10.3354/meps12510

https://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v595/p233-243/

Best
Morten