Dear marmam community,
our paper Area usage estimation and spatiotemporal variability in distribution
patterns of southern right whales, Eubalaena australis, of southern Brazil was
published in Marine Ecology .The English version of the paper is available
under the following link:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/maec.12506

Abstract
Southern right whales—Eubalaena australis (Desmoulins, 1822)—migrate seasonally
from high‐latitude feeding grounds to coastal breeding and calving grounds at
lower latitudes such as the southern coast of Brazil. Understanding how these
whales are distributed along the coast is important for monitoring their
postwhaling recovery and defining management strategies. In this study, we
applied Kernel density estimators to aerial survey data to determine main
occurrence and concentration areas of right whales in southern Brazil and
investigate inter‐ and intra‐annual distribution patterns between 2003 and
2012. Our results show considerable variation in area usage within and among
years, and changes in the general distribution pattern of right whales in the
last years of the study. Intra‐annually, higher concentration area tended to
expand from July to September and decrease in November. Some áreas stood out as
high‐density areas for right whales: Ribanceira/Ibiraquera, Itapirubá Sul/Sol,
and from Arroio to Gaivota. Some evidences also suggest preferential áreas for
mother–calf pairs. The higher concentration area of right whales in Southern
Brazil was estimated at 52,541 km2 and the occurrence area was 682.69 km2,
which is the whole study area. As right whale distribution in the region is
likely expanding due to this population’s current recovery, our study provides
essential information for management plan of the Right Whale Environmental
Protection Area.

If you need a pdf, please, send a request to
eduardorena...@hotmail.com<mailto:eduardorena...@hotmail.com>

Att.,

Eduardo P. Renault-Braga, MSc
Gerente operacional
Instituto Australis

Centro Nacional de Conservação da Baleia Franca
Av. Atlântica, s/no., Itapirubá Norte, Caixa Postal 201
Imbituba, SC, 88780-000

Fone: (48) 3255-2922
www.baleiafranca.org.br<http://www.baleiafranca.org.br>
edua...@baleiafranca.org.br<mailto:edua...@baleiafranca.org.br>

O Programa de Pesquisa de Conservação da Baleia Franca foi criado em
1982 e atualmente é mantido pelo Instituto Australis. Visite-nos em
www.baleiafranca.org.br<http://www.baleiafranca.org.br> .

Estamos também no Facebook! Acompanhe nossas atividades, eventos e informações
sobre as baleias!
@INSTITUTOAUSTRALIS<http://www.facebook.com/ProjetoBaleiaFranca>

Enviado do Email<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> para Windows 10