Dear all,

My co-authors and I are happy to announce our new publication on the sperm
whale mortality event that occurred around the North Sea in 2016 and involved
30 sperm whales and five countries.

Citation:
Lonneke L. IJsseldijk, Abbo van Neer, Rob Deaville, Lineke Begeman, Marco van
de Bildt, Judith M.A. van den Brand, Andrew Brownlow, Richard Czeck, Willy
Dabin, Mariel ten Doeschate, Vanessa Herder, Helena Herr, Jooske IJzer, Thierry
Jauniaux, Lasse Fast Jensen, Paul D. Jepson, Wendy Karen Jo, Jan Lakemeyer,
Kristina Lehnert, Mardik F. Leopold, Albert Osterhaus, Matthew W. Perkins, Uwe
Piatkowski, Ellen Prenger-Berninghoff, Ralf Pund, Peter Wohlsein, Andrea Gröne
& Ursula Siebert, Beached bachelors: An extensive study on the largest recorded
sperm whale Physeter macrocephalus mortality event in the North Sea, PLOS ONE,
DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0201221

Abstract:
Between the 8th January and the 25th February 2016, the largest sperm whale
Physeter macrocephalus mortality event ever recorded in the North Sea occurred
with 30 sperm whales stranding in five countries within six weeks. All sperm
whales were immature males. Groups were stratified by size, with the smaller
animals stranding in the Netherlands, and the largest in England. The majority
(n = 27) of the stranded animals were necropsied and/or sampled, allowing for
an international and comprehensive investigation into this mortality event. The
animals were in fair to good nutritional condition and, aside from the
pathologies caused by stranding, did not exhibit significant evidence of
disease or trauma. Infectious agents were found, including various parasite
species, several bacterial and fungal pathogens and a novel alphaherpesvirus.
In nine of the sperm whales a variety of marine litter was found. However, none
of these findings were considered to have been the primary cause of the
stranding event. Potential anthropogenic and environmental factors that may
have caused the sperm whales to enter the North Sea were assessed. Once sperm
whales enter the North Sea and head south, the water becomes progressively
shallower (<40 m), making this region a global hotspot for sperm whale
strandings. We conclude that the reasons for sperm whales to enter the southern
North Sea are the result of complex interactions of extrinsic environmental
factors. As such, these large mortality events seldom have a single ultimate
cause and it is only through multidisciplinary, collaborative approaches that
potentially multifactorial large-scale stranding events can be effectively
investigated.

The publication is open access and can be downloaded from:
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0201221

Kind regards,
Lonneke IJsseldijk

Lonneke L. IJsseldijk, MSc
Project Manager Cetacean Research
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University
Department of Pathobiology

T +31 30 253 5312, M +31 6 244 556 98
Website: http://www.uu.nl/strandingsonderzoek
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/strandingresearch/