Dear MARMAM subscribers,

The American Cetacean Society Student Coalition (ACSSC) is the student arm
of the American Cetacean Society (ACS), the world's oldest whale conservation
organization. After 50 years ACS continues to be a leader in the field of
cetacean education, conservation, policy, and education (
http://acsonline.org/).

The ACSSC is a community of future researchers, policy makers,
conservationists, and enthusiasts committed to protecting the marine
environment and the lives of cetaceans. Through direct action informed by
science, ACS groups act as forums where students can learn more about
cetaceans and their marine environment to carry out the most effective,
research-based responses to the perils that cetaceans face. Student members
of ACS are provided with an opportunity to feel inspired, engaged, and
empowered through an active web of regional student groups across the
country. The ACSSC serves as a much-needed bridge between the scientific
community and the public. Our student groups use community education and
citizen science to foster conservation and scientific literacy in their
communities. The Coalition works to provide students of all skill sets with
support and access to a community of other young professionals, experts in
the field, and with the support of the American Cetacean Society.

We invite all US university and college students (coastal or landlocked) to
join our coalition by leading their own groups.

One of the benefits of joining the ACS National Student Coalition is the
ability to network and collaborate with your peers in different disciplines
and institutions to address the challenges that cetaceans face today.
Leading your own ACS student coalition group can be very rewarding and fun.
ACSSC activities have included: citizen science projects, water quality
testing, cetacean research, oyster reef restoration, beach clean ups, guest
speakers, panel discussions, documentary screenings, lobbying, fundraisers,
and many social events. ACSSC groups have implemented campaigns focusing
upon issues such as sustainable seafood and its impacts upon cetaceans,
marine debris and
entanglement, local marine conservation issues, and more.

For more information regarding what is involved in starting your own student
group visit our website:
https://www.acsonline.org/students.

Scientists, supervisors, professors, etc., please refer your promising students
to us!

If you are interested in starting your own group, get in touch with us:
ac...@acsonline.org

Like us on facebook to see our latest updates and campaign activities:
ACSSC facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/American-Cetacean-Society-Student-Coalition
-ACSSC-177540238954065/

*Sabena Siddiqui , **MSc student University of Hawaii*
Student Chair, American Cetacean Society Board of Directors
*"P**rotecting whales, dolphins, porpoises, and their habitats through
public education, research grants, and conservation actions.*"

ACS website <http://acsonline.org/>
ACS Student Coalition website  <https://www.acsonline.org/students>