Dear all,
I'd like to share a recent publication on the use of multiplex networks for the
analysis of social structure. The paper presents an analysis of spider monkey
social structure but the methods are applicable to other social systems and
might be of interest for studies with marine mammals. You can acces the online
version through the link below or I can provide the text upon e-mail request.

Smith Aguilar SE, Aureli F, Busia L,Schaffner CM, Ramos-Fernández G (2018).
“Using multiplex networks to capturethe multidimensional nature of social
structure”. Primates. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10329-018-0686-3

Using multiplex networks to capture the multidimensional nature of social
structure

|  |
Using multiplex networks to capture the multidimensional nature of socia...

ABSTRACT:Network analysis has increasingly expanded our understanding of social
structure in primates and other animal species.However, most studies use
networks representing only one interaction type, when social relationships (and
the emerging social structure) are the result of many types of interactions and
their interplay through time. The recent development of tools facilitating the
integrated analysis of multiple interaction types using multiplex networks has
opened the possibility of extending the insight provided by social network
analysis. We use a multiplex representation of interactions among the members
of a group of wild Geoffroy’s spider monkeys (Ateles geoffroyi), to study their
social structure. We constructed a six-layered multiplex network based on three
indices of overt social interactions (aggression, embraces, grooming) and three
distance-based indices (contact, proximity, and association). With tools
provided by the MuxViz software, we assessed the relevance of including all six
indices in our analysis, the role of individuals in the network (through node
versatility), and the presence of modules and non-random triadic structures or
motifs. The multiplex provided information which was not equivalent to any
individual layer or to the simple aggregation of layers. Network patterns based
on associations did not correspond with those observed for overt-interactions
or for the multiplex structure. Males were the most versatile individuals,
while multiplex modularity and motifs highlighted the relevance of different
interaction types for the overall connectivity of the network. We conclude that
the multiplex approach improves on previous methods by retaining valuable
information from each interaction type and how it is patterned among
individuals.

Regards,
Sandra E. Smith-AguilarConservación Biológica y Desarrollo Social
ACMéxicogaladriel...@yahoo.com