Dear all

My colleagues and I are pleased to announce the publication of the paper
"Large scale molecular diet analysis in a generalist marine mammal reveals male
preference for prey of conservation concern".

Schwarz, D., Spitzer, S., Thomas, A., Kohnert, C., Keates, T. &
Acevedo-Gutiérrez, A. 2018. Large scale molecular diet analysis in a generalist
marine mammal reveals male preference for prey of conservation concern. Ecology
and Evolution 2018, 1-17.

DOI: 10.1002/ece3.4474.

Abstract:

Sex-specific diet information is important in the determination of predator
impacts on prey populations. Unfortunately, the diet of males and females can
be difficult to describe, particularly when they are marine predators. We
combined two molecular techniques to describe haul-out use and prey preferences
of male and female harbor seals (Phoca  vitulina)  from  Comox  and  Cowichan
Bay  (Canada)  during  2012–2013.  DNA  metabarcoding  harbor seal scat, and
qPCR determined the sex of the individual that deposited each scat. Using 287
female and 260 male samples, we compared the monthly sex ratio with GLMs and
analyzed prey consumption relative to sex, season, site, and year with
PERMANOVA. The sex ratio between monthly samples differed widely in both years
(range =   12%–79% males) and showed different patterns at each haul-out site.
Male and female diet differed across both years and sites: Females consumed a
high proportion of demersal fish species while males consumed more salmonid
species. Diet composition was related to both sex and season (PERMANOVA: R2 =
27%, p <0.001; R2 = 24%, p  <  0.001,  respectively)  and  their  interaction
(PERMANOVA: R2 = 11%, p <0.001). Diet differences between males and females
were consistent across site and  year,  suggesting  fundamental  foraging
differences,  including  that  males  may  have a larger impact on salmonids
than females. Our novel combination of techniques allowed  for  both  prey
taxonomic  and  spatiotemporal  resolution  unprecedented  in  marine predators.

The paper is open access and available to read or download in the following
link:  https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/ece3.4474

Cheers

Alejandro

Alejandro Acevedo-Gutierrez
Professor in Biology and Science Education
Western Washington University

alejandro.acevedo-gutier...@wwu.edu
acev...@biol.wwu.edu