Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the publication of our paper in Marine Mammal
Science:

Burnett, J. D., Lemos, L., Barlow, D. R., Wing, M. G., Chandler, T. E., Torres,
L. G. (2018). Estimating morphometric attributes of baleen whales with
photogrammetry from small UAS: a case study with blue and gray whales. Marine
Mammal Science. doi:10.1111/mms.12527

ABSTRACT: Small unmanned aircraft systems (sUASs) are fostering novel
approaches to marine mammal research, including baleen whale photogrammetry, by
providing new observational perspectives. We collected vertical images of 89
gray and 6 blue whales using low cost sUASs to examine the accuracy of image
based morphometry. Moreover, measurements from 192 images of a 1 m calibration
object were used to examine four different scaling correction models. Results
indicate that a linear mixed model including an error term for flight and date
contained 0.17 m less error and 0.25 m less bias than no correction. We used
the propagation uncertainty law to examine error contributions from scaling and
image measurement (digitization) to determine that digitization accounted for
97% of total variance. Additionally, we present a new whale body size metric
termed Body Area Index (BAI). BAI is scale invariant and is independent of body
length (R2 = 0.11), enabling comparisons of body size within and among
populations, and over time. With this study we present a three program analysis
suite that measures baleen whales and compensates for lens distortion and
corrects scaling error to produce 11 morphometric attributes from sUAS imagery.
The program is freely available and is expected to improve processing
efficiency and analytical continuity.

The full article is open access, and is available online:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/mms.12527

Furthermore, the code for the analysis programs are freely available, and can
be accessed via the supplemental materials.

Cheers,
Dawn

Dawn Barlow
PhD Student
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, Marine Mammal Institute
Oregon State University, Hatfield Marine Science Center
Geospatial Ecology of Marine Megafauna Lab<https://mmi.oregonstate.edu/gemm-lab>
dawn.bar...@oregonstate.edu