On behalf of the Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute (BDRI)
<http://www.thebdri.com/>, I am pleased to announce that 2019 research season
has just started and we are currently accepting applications for our Internship
Program 2019.

Our internship program aims to prepare students for a professional career in
the research of marine mammals, and conservation of the marine environment.
Moreover, the BDRI offers a limited number of independent studies to advanced
undergraduate and graduate students (bachelor and master students).

The main research topics of the 2019 BDRI research season will include marine
mammal ecology, ethology, ecological modelling and bioacoustics (on dolphins,
porpoises, baleen whales and otters in Atlantic waters), as well as marine
birds and otters ecology. Highly motivated bachelor and master students in the
fields of zoology, marine biology, veterinary and related disciplines are
invited to apply for an internships at the BDRI.

Lasting between one and nine months (between January and November), there’s a
variety of research projects that will help you explore what you may want to do
long term. With state-of-the-art facilities and equipment, participants will be
trained to get involved with multiple research projects involving a combination
of boat-based surveys onboard research vessels, land-based observations,
laboratory work (photo-identification, GIS, bioacoustics, diet analysis, diving
behaviour, video analysis, database work, etc), and strandings (response,
rescue, necropsy, and data collection).

We do not confer degrees but rather provide a research environment including a
fully equipped and staffed laboratory, accommodation, and training in the field
under the mentorship of experienced marine scientists. The BDRI offers to the
students the chance to work through the many steps of research, collecting the
data on the field, and analysing the data at the lab.

Interns will participate in the data collection of our on-going marine
megafauna research program in Galician waters (Spain) and will receive
supervision from Bruno Díaz López, PhD (Director and Chief Biologist) and
Séverine Methion, MSc (Principal Investigator and Marine Ecologist). The BDRI
office is located in a pleasant research centre located in O Grove, Galicia
(Spain). The institute and research vessels are equipped with the
state-of-the-art technology, and the study area has especially good conditions
for marine mammals and marine birds research. The incredible diversity of
cetaceans present in these waters (up to 22 different species recorded) allows
the BDRI team to have several ongoing research projects focused on the study of
the ecology and behaviour of bottlenose dolphins, harbour porpoises, Risso’s
dolphins, common dolphins, pilot whales, humpback whales, minke whales, sei
whales, fin whales, and blue whales.

The BDRI is a very international environment, and the everyday working language
is English.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

There is no deadline to apply. However, approved applications are accepted on a
first-come, first serve basis. Apply early!

To apply, read the Internship Information Package and send the application
form, a resume, cover letter, and recommendation letters (facultative) by email
to: i...@thebdri.com

BDRI internships are not paid and this training experience requires a tuition
fee which is used to off-set the cost of training, use of research equipment,
facilities and research vessels, accommodation in an apartment with other
participants, and other expenses (access to wifi, kitchen utensils,
electricity, taxes, insurances, etc) and a project fee. This fee covers added
supervision, tuition, and guidance, the paperwork associated, as well as the
use of BDRI resources. Successful applicants will be responsible for their own
transportation expenses to and from the research centre (O Grove, Galicia,
Spain). Students carrying out these projects are encouraged to try for
extramural or university funding to offset these costs.

If the student intends to receive academic credit, he/she will be responsible
for making all arrangements with their educational institutions.

We look forward to your participation and a successful research experience at
the BDRI and we thank you for your interest. Feel free to send us an e-mail to:
i...@thebdri.com for us to provide you further information about the program.

The internships information information package can be donwloaded here:
<https://www.thebdri.com/resources/downloads/internships.pdf>

The thesis information document can be downloaded here:
<https://www.thebdri.com/resources/downloads/thesis.pdf>

A list of the thesis carried out at the BDRI can be consulted here:
<https://www.thebdri.com/research/thesis.html>

Some of our ex-interns shared their BDRI internship experience at:
<https://youtu.be/UAuO2XasBnw>

For regular updates with photos and videos about our programs and research
activities feel free to visit <https://www.facebook.com/thebdri/>

Scientific articles published by the BDRI in 2018 (for a full list of
publications please visit: <http://www.thebdri.com/research/papers.html>)

-Diaz Lopez, B. (2018) “Hot deals at sea”: responses of a top predator
(Bottlenose dolphin, Tursiops truncatus) to human-induced changes in the
coastal ecosystem. Behavioral Ecology. http:/doi.org/10.1093/beheco/ary162

-Methion, S. & Diaz Lopez, B. (2018) Abundance and demographic parameters of
bottlenose dolphins in a highly affected coastal ecosystem. Marine and
Freshwater Research https://doi.org/10.1071/MF17346

-Diaz Lopez, B & Methion, S. (2018) Does interspecific competition drive
patterns of habitat use and relative density in harbour porpoises? Marine
Biology (2018) 165:92. http://doi.org/10.1007/s00227-018-3345-8
Bruno Díaz López Ph.D
Chief biologist and Director

The Bottlenose Dolphin Research Institute BDRI
Avenida Beiramar 192, O Grove 36980, Pontevedra, Spain
www.thebdri.com
0034 684248552

Like us on Facebook. Follow us on Instagram. Mention us on Twitter.

This email is confidential to the intended recipient(s) and the contents may be
legally privileged or contain proprietary and private informations. It is
intended solely for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not an
intended recipient, you may not review, copy or distribute this email. If
received in error, please notify the sender and delete the message from your
system immediately. Please note that neither the Bottlenose Dolphin Research
Institute BDRI nor the sender accept any responsibility for any viruses and it
is your responsibility to scan the email and the attachments (if any). Thank
you for your cooperation.