Dear Colleagues,

The Mexican Society for Marine Mammalogy (SOMEMMA) is pleased to announce
its *fourth biennial Marine Mammalogy Summer School, the IV-E3M,* which
will take place in La Paz, Mexico, July 14-21, 2019.

The IV-E3M offers theoretical and practical knowledge on the biology,
ecology, evolution, natural history, physiology and conservation of marine
mammals.

The IV-E3M is structured in two modules; a *50-h course aimed at
undergraduate students with limited or no experience with marine mammals*,
that will encompass the biology, ecology, evolution, natural history,
physiology and conservation of marine mammals and includes a hands-on field
trip to Espiritu Santo National Park aboard a research vessel, and a *20-h
advanced module, aimed at postgraduate students or final year
undergraduates*, who can select one of six topics:

1) Ecotoxicology and Marine Pollution (course delivered in spanish and
english)
2) Stable Isotopes in Ecological and Environmental Studies (course
delivered in english)
3) Telemetry as a tool for animal ecology (course delivered in english)
4) Conservation genetics (course delivered in english)
5) Passive acoustic monitoring and photoID database management (course
delivered in english)
6) Introduction to marine mammal rehabilitation and disease (course
delivered in english)
7) Behavioural ecology of marine mammals (course delivered in spanish)

Our instructors are well recognized marine mammalogists from Mexico,
Brasil, Canada and the US (
https://www.escuelamexicanademamiferosmarinos.com/copia-de-instructores-2-1
).

Our first two summer schools were targeted exclusively to Mexican students.
In 2017, the third summer school broadened its scope and was open to
international participants. We had participants from five countries, and
the experience was very gratifying for participants and instructors. This
year we are once more opening our summer school to international
participants. We have strived to maintain costs extremely low: the basic
module costs *120 US dollars* (early fee) and the advanced module costs *140
US dollars* (early fee). This fee *includes accommodation*, the course
diploma, complementary material, and reading material).

More details on the program, instructors and registration costs can be
found at:

http://www.escuelamexicanademamiferosmarinos.com
https://www.facebook.com/4Escu
<https://www.facebook.com/4EscuelaMexicanaMastozoologiaMarina/>
elaMexicanaMastozoologiaMarina
<https://www.facebook.com/4EscuelaMexicanaMastozoologiaMarina/>/
<https://www.facebook.com/4EscuelaMexicanaMastozoologiaMarina/>

Hope to see you in La Paz!

Karina Acevedo-Whitehouse & Fabiola Guerrero de la Rosa
IV-E3M organizers
escuelamexican...@gmail.com