Dear MARMAM,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the new publication available
in Animal Behaviour: Intrinsic and maternal traits influence personality
during early life in Galápagos sea lion, *Zalophus wollebaeki*, pups

DeRango, E. J., Schwarz, J. F., Kalberer, S., Piedrahita, P., Páez-Rosas,
D., & Krüger, O. (2019). *Animal Behaviour*, *154*, 111-120.

Please use the following link for free access, or message me at
gdera...@gmail.com if you cannot download the PDF:
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anbehav.2019.06.011

Abstract:
Animal personalities and their degree of plasticity have been demonstrated
to be adaptive and associated with ecologically important traits. While the
concept is well established in a broad range of species, studies with
free-ranging pinnipeds remain rare. Here we use a long-studied but
declining population of Galápagos sea lions to demonstrate the existence of
behavioural axes related to boldness in pups with respect to intrinsic and
maternal traits. These sea lions reside in a habitat characterized by
unpredictable environmental perturbations, which may select for differences
in personality between individuals. We tested individual pups during two
reproductive seasons (2017 and 2018) and elicited diverse yet repeatable
body mass differences. Responses to novel object and human approach tests
were positively associated: pups that approached a novel object were also
more likely to stay near humans. Maternal age and body size also affected
variation in pups’ responses, suggesting that fitness-relevant
characteristics of mothers may influence pup personality. To determine how
traits changed across time and contexts, we repeated the novel object test
1 year later in pups born in 2017 and with their mother present during both
years. These traits remained repeatable and stable within the first year of
life; however, shy pups showed plasticity by increasing their tendency to
approach when with mothers, potentially due to maternal social support. We
propose that personality in this species is likely to be relevant for
coping strategies during later life history events within a changing
environment.