Dear MARMAM community,

On behalf of my coauthors, I am pleased to announce our recent publication in
PeerJ:

Torres LG, Barlow DR, Chandler TE, Burnett JD. 2020. Insight into the
kinematics of blue whale surface foraging through drone observations and prey
data. PeerJ 8:e8906 http://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.8906

ABSTRACT: To understand how predators optimize foraging strategies, extensive
knowledge of predator behavior and prey distribution is needed. Blue whales
employ an energetically demanding lunge feeding method that requires the whales
to selectively feed where energetic gain exceeds energetic loss, while also
balancing oxygen consumption, breath holding capacity, and surface recuperation
time. Hence, blue whale foraging behavior is primarily driven by krill patch
density and depth, but many studies have not fully considered surface feeding
as a significant foraging strategy in energetic models. We collected predator
and prey data on a blue whale (Balaenoptera musculus brevicauda) foraging
ground in New Zealand in February 2017 to assess the distributional and
behavioral response of blue whales to the distribution and density of krill
prey aggregations. Krill density across the study region was greater toward the
surface (upper 20 m), and blue whales were encountered where prey was
relatively shallow and more dense. This relationship was particularly evident
where foraging and surface lunge feeding were observed. Furthermore, New
Zealand blue whales also had relatively short dive times (2.83 ± 0.27 SE min)
as compared to other blue whale populations, which became even shorter at
foraging sightings and where surface lunge feeding was observed. Using an
unmanned aerial system (UAS; drone) we also captured unique video of a New
Zealand blue whale's surface feeding behavior on well-illuminated krill
patches. Video analysis illustrates the whale's potential use of vision to
target prey, make foraging decisions, and orient body mechanics relative to
prey patch characteristics. Kinematic analysis of a surface lunge feeding event
revealed biomechanical coordination through speed, acceleration, head
inclination, roll, and distance from krill patch to maximize prey engulfment.
We compared these lunge kinematics to data previously reported from tagged blue
whale lunges at depth to demonstrate strong similarities, and provide rare
measurements of gape size, and krill response distance and time. These findings
elucidate the predator-prey relationship between blue whales and krill, and
provide support for the hypothesis that surface feeding by New Zealand blue
whales is an important component to their foraging ecology used to optimize
their energetic efficiency. Understanding how blue whales make foraging
decisions presents logistical challenges, which may cause incomplete sampling
and biased ecological knowledge if portions of their foraging behavior are
undocumented. We conclude that surface foraging could be an important strategy
for blue whales, and integration of UAS with tag-based studies may expand our
understanding of their foraging ecology by examining surface feeding events in
conjunction with behaviors at depth.

The full article is open access, and available online:
https://peerj.com/articles/8906/

Please feel free to contact
leigh.tor...@oregonstate.edu<mailto:leigh.tor...@oregonstate.edu> with any
questions or to request a PDF copy.

Cheers,
Dawn

Dawn Barlow
PhD Student
Department of Fisheries and Wildlife, Marine Mammal Institute
Oregon State University, Hatfield Marine Science Center
Geospatial Ecology of Marine Megafauna Lab<https://mmi.oregonstate.edu/gemm-lab>
dawn.bar...@oregonstate.edu