Dear Marmam,

My coauthors and I are pleased to announce our new paper:

Bouveroux, Th., Waggitt, J .J. , Belhadjer, A., Cazenave, P. W., Evans, P. G.
H., and Kiszka, J. J. Modelling fine-scale distribution and relative abundance
of harbour porpoises in the
Southern Bight of the North Sea using platform-of-opportunity data. Journal of
the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom.

The paper is available online under First View at
http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0025315420000326
<http://dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0025315420000326>.

ABSTRACT:

Over the last 25 years, the harbour porpoise (Phocoena phocoena) has made a
significant
return to the Southern Bight of the North Sea and the English Channel due to a
shift in distribution
from northerly regions. Although the ecological drivers of this return are
unclear,
this species faces multiple threats in the region, including by-catch and
habitat degradation.
Ferry-based surveys were conducted year-round between November 2011 and June
assess the influence of environmental parameters upon the spatiotemporal
distribution and
relative abundance of harbour porpoises in the Southern Bight of the North Sea.
A total of
1450 sightings of harbour porpoises were recorded during the 100 round-trip
surveys carried
out between Dunkirk (France) and Dover (England). Inter-annual and monthly
variations in
group size were observed, with largest groups recorded in 2014 (mean = 2.02)
and in January
(mean = 2.32). The relative abundance showed significant seasonal variation,
with peaks
recorded during winter months. An inter-annual increasing relative abundance
was recorded
during the study period. There was a seasonally dependent association with
environmental
variables, particularly depth, seabed roughness and current speed. Finally,
predictions suggest
large increases of the relative abundance in offshore habitats during winter
months and over
the study period.

Please do not hesitate to contact me (tbouver...@gmail.com
<mailto:tbouver...@gmail.com>) if you have any queries regarding to this