Dear MARMAM colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the publication of the following paper in Current
Biology:

Sonja Wild, William J.E. Hoppitt, Simon J. Allen, Michael Krützen. Integrating
genetic, environmental and social networks to reveal transmission pathways of a
dolphin foraging innovation. Current Biology. 25 June 2020. DOI:
10.1016/j.cub.2020.05.069<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2019.02.047>

Cultural behavior, that transmitted among conspecifics through social learning
[1], is found across various taxa [2–6]. Vertical social transmission from
parent to offspring [7] is thought to be adaptive because of the parental
generation being more skilled than maturing individuals. It is found throughout
the animal kingdom, particularly in species with prolonged parental care e.g.
[8,9]. Social learning can also occur among members of the same generation
[4,10,11] or between older, non-parental individuals and younger generations
[7] via horizontal or oblique transmission, respectively. Extensive work on
primate culture has shown that horizontal transmission of foraging behavior is
biased toward species with broad cultural repertoires [12], and those with
increased levels of social tolerance [13,14], such as great apes. Vertical
social transmission has been established as the primary transmission mechanism
of foraging behaviors in the Indo-Pacific bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops aduncus)
population of Shark Bay, Western Australia [6,9,15,16]. Here, we investigated
the spread of another foraging strategy, ‘shelling’ [17], whereby some dolphins
in this population feed on prey trapped inside large marine gastropod shells.
Using a multi-network version of ‘network-based diffusion analysis’ (NBDA), we
show that shelling behavior spreads primarily through non-vertical social
transmission. By statistically accounting for both environmental and genetic
influences, our findings thus represent the first evidence of non-vertical
transmission of a foraging tactic in toothed whales. This research suggests
there are multiple transmission pathways of foraging behaviors in dolphins,
highlighting the similarities between cetaceans and great apes in the nature of
the transmission of cultural behaviors.

The article can be downloaded under:
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2020.05.069

Video abstract here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9nc3-pz7Tc

Want a copy? Have a question? Email me on: sw...@ab.mpg.de

Cheers,
Sonja Wild & co-authors

Sonja Wild

Postdoctoral Researcher

Centre for the Advanced Study of Collective Behaviour - University of Konstanz

Cognitive and Cultural Ecology Lab - Max Planck Institute of Animal Behavior

website: <https://sites.google.com/view/sonjawild>
https://sites.google.com/view/sonjawild

twitter: @wild_sonja<https://twitter.com/wild_sonja>