Hello MARMAM Members,

On behalf of my colleagues and myself, I am pleased to share with you all our
new research note “Reproductive and stress‐related hormones in whiskers from
two North Pacific phocids: Harbor and ringed seals”, now available in early
view at Marine Mammal Science. The article can be found here:
https://bit.ly/38mVbJT.

Keogh MJ, Charapata P, Karpovich S, Jones A, Sprowls C, Marshall CD.
Reproductive and stress-related hormones in whiskers from two North Pacific
phocids: Harbor and ringed seals. Mar Mam Sci. 2020;1–12.
https://doi.org/10.1111/mms.12709

Summary

Several populations of North Pacific pinnipeds are currently listed as
depleted under the Marine Mammal Protection Act, endangered under the
Endangered Species Act, of the United States or with unknown status,
highlighting the need for new methods to assess the reproductive rates of these
populations. Most phocids are annual breeders with estrus and parturition
occurring on terrestrial or ice platforms. In phocids, serum progesterone
concentrations remain elevated during late gestation, supporting identification
of pregnancy after implantation (Gardiner, Boyd, Follett, Racey, & Reijnders,
1999; Gardiner, Boyd, Racey, Reijnders, & Thompson, 1996; Mellish & Iverson,
2005; Reijnders 1990). However, current sampling methods based on blood and
feces only provide a snapshot of reproductive status. Recently, methods were
developed to measure cortisol in whiskers (Karpovich, Skinner, Kapronczai,
Smith, & Janz, 2019), highlighting the potential to measure reproductive
hormones in whiskers from free-ranging phocid seals. Unlike other tissues
currently used for determining reproductive status, whiskers do not require
special storage or handling, which can be challenging in remote field
conditions. More importantly, the potential to use whiskers to measure
reproductive hormones may alleviate problems associated with a single sample by
capturing reproductive hormone concentrations sequentially along the length of
the whisker, allowing for the examination of hormone con- centrations over the
course of one year for phocids (Greaves, Hammill, & Eddington, 2004; Hirons,
Shell, & St. Aubin, 2001; Lübcker, Condit, Beltran, Bruyn, & Bester, 2016; Zhao
& Schell, 2004). Given the potential utility of measuring reproductive hormones
in phocid whiskers, our objectives were to (1) validate enzyme immunoassays
(EIA) to measure reproductive and stress-related steroid hormones in phocid
whiskers, (2) compare the patterns of multiple steroid hormones along the
length of whiskers to evaluate the retention of steroid hormones in phocid
whiskers, (3) apply immunohistochemistry (IHC) methods to explore deposition of
progesterone and cortisol along harbor seal whiskers, and (4) investigate the
influence of age class (i.e., adult vs. subadult) and reproductive state on
hormone concentrations in whiskers.

In this study, we report a novel method to measure reproductive hormones in
phocid whiskers, providing another tool for future studies. We found hormones
are deposited throughout the length of a phocid whisker, helping to validate
the utility of whiskers as a reliable matrix for measuring reproductive
hormones. We found differences in whisker progesterone concentrations between
adults and subadults from two phocid species and between pregnant and
nonpregnant adult harbor seals. There may be other reproductive steroid
hormones, such as testosterone, that may also be useful for assessing age
class. The timing of the whisker collection for both phocid species may
influence detection of the rise in progesterone in the whisker likely
associated with active gestation. Nevertheless, phocid whiskers contain
hormones incorporated during the estimated years' worth of growth (Beltran et
al., 2015, Hirons et al., 2001, Lübcker et al., 2016). Analysis of hormone
concentrations from whiskers could be beneficial in accruing long-term
physiological data from keratinized tissues in phocids. Further, whiskers in
archived collections from museums, stranding networks, and gov- ernment
agencies could serve as a reservoir of samples to perform retrospective studies
on phocid reproductive and stress physiology, helping to understand how future
environmental changes may impact phocid physiology.

Please email lead and corresponding author (Mandy Keogh,
mandyjke...@gmail.com<mailto:mandyjke...@gmail.com>) if you have any questions
or are interested in the manuscript. I would be happy to provide a PDF of the
manuscript upon request
(patrick_charapa...@baylor.edu<mailto:patrick_charapa...@baylor.edu>).

Cheers,

Patrick Charapata