Dear All,

Apologies for cross posting.

We would like to inform you that the new online book on marine litter in the
Black Sea  has been published by Turkish Marine Research Foundation (TUDAV). In
the book, there is a review paper on cetaceans and marine litter in the Black
Sea.

Tonay, A.M., Gül, B., Dede, A., Öztürk A.A. 2020. Cetaceans and marine litter
in the Black Sea. In: (Aytan, Ü., Pogojeva, M., Simeonova, A. Eds.) Marine
Litter in the Black Sea. Turkish Marine Research Foundation (TUDAV) Publication
No: 56, Istanbul, Turkey. 236-246pp.

Abstract

Marine litter, especially plastics, is an essential source of danger for
cetaceans. Since the Black Sea is a semi-enclosed sea with numerous rivers
flowing in, marine litter accumulated here pose a serious threat to the three
cetacean species inhabiting the basin vulnerable. This paper reviews the
studies in the Black Sea since 1956 on the relationship between marine litter
and cetaceans. Impacts of marine litter on cetaceans, especially entanglement
and ingestion, have been compared with similar cases elsewhere in the world.
Since there are very few studies on the relationship of marine litter and
cetaceans in the Black Sea, we cannot elucidate the effect of the increase in
marine litter on cetaceans in recent years, thus further and continuous studies
are needed.

Pdf requests can be sent to  <mailto:ato...@istanbul.edu.tr>
ato...@istanbul.edu.tr or you can download directly from the link:
http://tudav.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/MarineLitterintheBlackSea_tudav.pdf

Regards

Arda

Arda M. TONAY Ph.D

Faculty of Aquatic Sciences, İstanbul University

Marine Biology Dep.

Ordu Cad. No:8 Laleli, 34134 İstanbul, Turkey

Tel: ¬+90 212 455 5700/16459   Fax: +90 212 514 0379

ato...@istanbul.edu.tr <mailto:ato...@istanbul.edu.tr>
http://subilimleri.istanbul.edu.tr/

Turkish Marine Research Foundation (TUDAV)

P.O. Box 10 Beykoz, 34820 İstanbul, Turkey

Tel: +90 216 424 0772   Fax: +90 216 424 0771

Lütfen
bu e-postayı yazdırmadan önce çevreye olan etkisini dikkate alınız.
Unutmayınız ki; dünyadaki kağıt tüketiminin yarısı kazanılırsa, her yıl 8
milyon hektar orman alanı (Ege Bölgesi büyüklüğünde) yok olmaktan
kurtulacaktır.
Please
take into account the impact on the environment before printing this
e-mail. Do not forget that if we reduce our paper consumption by half,
every year 8 million hectares of forest (an area the size of Aegean Region
in Turkey) will be saved from vanishing.