Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are happy to announce the publication of the following
paper in Marine Mammal Science:

Irschick, D.J., Martin, J., Siebert, U., Kristensen, J.H., Madsen, P.T. &
Christiansen, F. 2020. Creation of accurate 3D models of harbor porpoises
(Phocoena phocoena) using 3D photogrammetry. Marine Mammal Science DOI:
10.1111/mms.12759.

Abstract:
Creating accurate 3D models of marine mammals is valuable for assessment of
body condition, computational fluids dynamics models of locomotion, and for
education. However, the methods for creating 3D models are not well-developed.
We used photography and video to create 3D photogrammetry models of harbor
porpoises (Phocoena phocoena). We accessed one live adult female (155.5 cm
total length), and two dead animals, one juvenile (110 cm total length) and one
calf (88 cm total length). We accessed the two dead individuals through a
stranding network in Germany, and the live individual through the Fjord and
Baelt research center in Denmark. For all porpoises, we used still photographs
from handheld cameras, drone video, and synchronized GoPro videos to create 3D
photogrammetric models. We used Blender software, and other 3D reconstruction
software, to recreate the 3D body meshes, and confirmed the accuracy of each of
the 3D body meshes by comparing digital measures on the 3D models to original
measures taken on the specimens. We also provide a colored, animated version of
the live harbor porpoise for educational purposes. These open-access 3D models
can be used to develop methods to study body morphometrics and condition, and
to study bioenergetics and locomotion costs.

The paper can be accessed from the following link:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/mms.12759?af=R

This study was done in collaboration with the Digital Life Project at the
University of Massachusetts at Amherst and CG artist Martin Johnson, who
created the 3D models of the porpoises. To access the 3D mesh models of the
three harbour porpoises, you can follow these links:
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/model-75b-harbor-porpoise-mesh-only-afca5402440d437d9db32dd003c1aaef
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/model-76-dead-harbor-porpoise-1-b9bc8de2b0be440c8a5159a17892e74e
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/model-77-dead-harbor-porpoise-2-64d32cb647e7405a9104a22b6d238c90

To access a full colour 3D model of a harbour porpoise you can follow this link:
https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/model-75a-harbor-porpoise-eb02e57f17d741329a66844a3a8d2094

For more information about the 3D modelling technique or for access to the
harbour porpoise 3D models for research or education purposes, please contact
the lead author Duncan J. Irschick (irsch...@bio.umass.edu).

Best regards,

Fredrik Christiansen

Assistant Professor/Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Aarhus Institute of Advanced Studies
Aarhus University, Denmark
+4531332367
f.christian...@aias.au.dk