Dear All,

On behalf of Bernd Würsig, I am pleased to announce the following publication
in the journal Ethics in Science and Environmental Politics (ESEP). This Open
Access paper is part of a Theme Section entitled “Marine biology in a world of
wounds”.

Würsig, B. (2020) From science only to science for conservation: a personal
journey. Ethics Sci Environ Polit, 20:25-32. <https://doi.org/10.3354/esep00191>

ABSTRACT: Long-term studies of whales, dolphins, and porpoises (the cetaceans)
in nature abruptly began about 50 years ago, preceded by several decades of
terrestrial animal studies, often of charismatic large mammals. Fifty years
ago, intensive whaling was still occurring, and arguments against whaling
largely centered around impending extinctions due to over-hunting, not the idea
that cetaceans should not be killed due to natural or inherent goodness. In the
1970's several USA and other government agencies promulgated rules to help
control pollution and other insults to nature, often effective in short term
but not in stopping an overall decline in health of nature. While there
appeared a general societal awakening towards greater appreciation of nature
and intrinsic animal rights, researchers largely stayed focused on their
research, with little attention to using knowledge to increase ecosystem and
animal health. Attitudes of direct scientific involvement in calling for
environmental action have changed, as it is becoming increasingly (but not
universally) appreciated that researchers who know the problems are well-suited
to alert governments, industry, and society to them, and loudly call for
action. I have no good answers how to accomplish large-scale rapid reversals of
environmental declines. One laudable action is to be an active vocal part of
appropriate web-based conservation advocacy groups. Involving the young of all
genders and races for a groundswell of support is likely most effective in
generating a new world view of so much respect for nature that we radically
alter our present ways of subjugating and diminishing it in the name of
supposed human progress. Above all, we scientists must no longer dither with
opinions on environmental problems and urgent needs for action; we must
proclaim them intelligently, forcefully, and as broadly as possible.

*Corresponding author: wuer...@sbcglobal.net<mailto:wuer...@sbcglobal.net>