Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of the following
open access article in Frontiers in Marine Science:

Marchesi MC, Mora MS, Dans SL, Coscarella MA and González-José R (2020)
Vertebral Morphology in Partially Sympatric Dolphins: A 3D Approach. Front.
Mar. Sci. 7:581762. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2020.581762

ABSTRACT: In cetaceans, increased body flexibility is associated with increased
maneuverability, this affects the animal’s swimming speed and foraging
behavior. A more stable body form is associated with fast swimming and wide
turns. One factor that affects the flexibility of a cetacean’s body is the
structure and interaction of its vertebrae. Differences in vertebral morphology
confer different muscular insertion sites and affect mechanical properties of
swimming muscles. We studied vertebral morphology in four closely related and
partially sympatric dolphin species from the Southern Hemisphere: Commerson’s
dolphin (Cephalorhynchus commersonii), Peale’s dolphin (Lagenorhynchus
australis), the dusky dolphin (Lagenorhynchus obscurus) and the hourglass
dolphin (Lagenorhynchus cruciger). The former two species are usually
considered coastal, associated with complex habitats where foraging strategies
require greater maneuverability; they also show plasticity in their prey
preferences. The latter two species are considered fast-swimming cooperative
feeders, with long distance movements reflecting prey availability in pelagic
habitats. We employed three-dimensional (3D) geometric morphometric techniques
and multivariate analyses to evaluate differences in vertebral morphology. Our
analyses tested whether particular morphologies that limit or enhance
flexibility were associated with preferred habitats and feeding strategies. We
established links between morphology and behavioral patterns based on the
biomechanical significance of specific vertebral morphological features.
Principal component analyses (PCA) showed great differentiation between species
in all the studied regions along the vertebral column. This was especially
evident in the middle area, except in the case of dusky and hourglass dolphins
which showed no discernible morphological difference in their mid-column
vertebrae. PCA results were supported by statistically significant Mahalanobis
distances (MD) between species. Species associated with complex habitats and
behaviors possessed morphological features associated with greater flexibility
of the column (i.e., spool-shaped vertebrae with short erect processes),
whereas cooperative-feeder species possessed features associated with greater
stability (i.e., disk-shaped vertebrae with long strongly bent processes). In
these closely related and partially sympatric dolphins, vertebral morphology is
distinctive and varies with the differential foraging strategies and habitat of
each species. These findings reveal morphological plasticity among these
dolphin species, highlighting the importance of behavioral complexity and of
habitat use in the evolutionary development of morphological adaptations.
 <>

You can find the article in the following link
:https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2020.581762/full
<https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2020.581762/full>

For questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me
(marches...@gmail.com <mailto:marches...@gmail.com>)

Regards

Dra. María Constanza (Kata) Marchesi
Becaria Posdoctoral / Postdoctoral fellow

Laboratorio de Mamíferos Marinos (LAMAMA)
Centro para el Estudio de los Sistemas Marinos (CESIMAR)
CCT CONICET-CENPAT
Blvd. Brown 2915
U9120ACD Puerto Madryn, Chubut, Argentina
Phone: +54 280 488-3184/488-3185 (ext 1330)
www.lamama.com.ar <http://www.lamama.com.ar/>

Research Gate Profile: www.researchgate.net/profile/Maria_Constanza_Marchesi

“Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better"