Dear MARMAN readers,

We are pleased to announce our new publication in Frontiers in Marine Science.

Reed J, Harcourt R, New L and Bilgmann K (2020) Extreme Effects of Extreme
Disturbances: A Simulation Approach to Assess Population Specific Responses.
Front. Mar. Sci. 7:519845. doi: 10.3389/fmars.2020.519845

Abstract: In South Australia, discrete populations of bottlenose dolphins
inhabit two large gulfs, where key threats and population estimates have been
identified. Climate change, habitat disturbance (shipping and noise pollution),
fishery interactions and epizootic events have been identified as the key
threats facing these populations. The Population Consequences of Disturbance
(PCoD) framework has been developed to understand how disturbances can
influence population dynamics. We used population estimates combined with
population specific bioenergetics models to undertake a partial PCoD
assessment, comparing how the two populations respond to the identified
regional threats. Populations were modeled over a 5 year period looking at the
influence of each disturbance separately. As expected, the most extreme
epizootic and climate change disturbance scenarios with high frequency and
intensity had the biggest influence on population trends. However, the
magnitude of the effect differed by population, with Spencer Gulf showing a 43%
and Gulf St Vincent a 23% decline under high frequency and high impact
epizootic scenarios. Epizootic events were seen to have the strongest influence
on population trends and reproductive parameters for both populations, followed
by climate change. PCoD modeling provides insights into how disturbances may
affect different populations and informs management on how to mitigate
potential effects while there is still time to act.

The paper is available at https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2020.519845

Kind Regards,

Josh Reed
PhD Candidate