Dear MARMAM Members,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of our new
paper:
Alcázar-Treviño, J., Johnson, M., Arranz, P., Warren, V.E., Pérez-González,
C.J., Marques, T., Madsen, P.T. and Aguilar de Soto, N. 2021. Deep-diving
beaked whales dive together but forage apart.* Proc. R. Soc. B.* *288*:
20201905.

Abstract
Echolocating animals that forage in social groups can potentially benefit
from eavesdropping on other group members, cooperative foraging or social
defence, but may also face problems of acoustic interference and
intra-group competition for prey. Here, we investigate these potential
trade-offs of sociality for extreme deep-diving Blainville′s and Cuvier's
beaked whales. These species perform highly synchronous group dives as a
presumed predator-avoidance behaviour, but the benefits and costs of this
on foraging have not been investigated. We show that group members could
hear their companions for a median of at least 91% of the vocal foraging
phase of their dives. This enables whales to coordinate their mean travel
direction despite differing individual headings as they pursue prey on a
minute-by-minute basis. While beaked whales coordinate their
echolocation-based foraging periods tightly, individual click and buzz
rates are both independent of the number of whales in the group. Thus,
their foraging performance is not affected by intra-group competition or
interference from group members, and they do not seem to capitalize
directly on eavesdropping on the echoes produced by the echolocation clicks
of their companions. We conclude that the close diving and vocal
synchronization of beaked whale groups that quantitatively reduces
predation risk has little impact on foraging performance.

The article is available at
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rspb.2020.1905

Please, feel free to contact me via email to jalca...@ull.edu.es if you
have any questions regarding our study or if you want a PDF copy of the
paper.

Kind regards,
Jesús Alcázar-Treviño

--
Jesús Alcázar Treviño
Doctorando FPU

Grupo de Investigación BIOECOMAC
Departamento de Biología Animal, Edafología y Geología
Facultad de Ciencias - Sección Biología

Avenida Astrofísico Francisco Sánchez, s/n
Apartado 456
38200 La Laguna. S/C de Tenerife

ull.es <https://www.ull.es/>