My co-authors and I would like to announce our recent publication in
Conservation Physiology, "Using claws to compare reproduction, stress and
diet of female bearded and ringed seals in the Bering and Chukchi seas,
Alaska, between 1953–1968 and 1998–2014." *This article is open access and
available here: https://bit.ly/38WDZg5 <https://bit.ly/38WDZg5>*

*Abstract: *Rapid climate warming is decreasing sea ice thickness, extent
and duration. Marine mammals such as bearded (Erignathus barbatus) and
ringed (Pusa hispida) seals, which use sea ice for pupping, molting and
resting, may be negatively affected. Claws from bearded and ringed seals
store up to 14 and 12 years of sequential analyte data, respectively. These
data can be used to compare reproduction, stress and diet across decades.
In this study, we compare progesterone, cortisol and carbon and nitrogen
stable isotopes in female bearded and ringed seals during 1953–1968
(pre-1968, a period prior to sea ice decline) to 1998–2014 (post-1998, a
period during sea ice decline). When comparing these periods, bearded seals
had statistically higher cortisol concentrations post-1998, and for both
species δ13C was more negative post-1998, while progesterone and δ15N did
not change. There was a positive relationship between progesterone and
cortisol Z-scores for both species, except for ringed seals post-1998.
There was a negative relationship between cortisol Z-scores and δ13C for
bearded seals evident in post-1998 indicating that higher cortisol Z-scores
are associated with more negative δ13C in bearded seals in recent years.
This negative relationship between cortisol and δ13C in bearded seals
suggests a shift to higher prey diversity, possibly due to changes in sea
ice in the Pacific Arctic evident post 1998. Progesterone Z-scores
corresponded to expected differences among non-pregnant, unimplanted,
implanted and post-partum individuals. Using these data, pregnancy history
was determined for reproductive years for each individual female sampled,
which could allow for yearly pregnancy rates to be calculated given a large
enough representative sample of the population. These results combine
decades of observational studies with hormones and stable isotopes to infer
changes in reproduction, stress and diet, as well as the connection between
these life history parameters.

Should you have any questions or have trouble accessing the article, please
email the corresponding author, Dani Crain, at ddiancr...@gmail.com

Dani

--

Danielle Crain