Dear Colleagues,

In relation to the unusual mortality event currently experienced by the eastern
North Pacific gray whale population, my co-authors and I wish to announce our
recent article published in MEPS:

Christiansen, F., Rodríguez-González, F., Martínez-Aguilar, S., Urbán, J.,
Swartz, S., Warick, H., Vivier, F. & Bejder, L. (2021). Poor body condition
associated with an unusual mortality event in gray whales. Marine Ecology
Progress Series 658: 237-252.

Abstract:
The eastern North Pacific gray whale Eschrichtius robustus experienced an
unusual mortality event (UME) in 2019−2020, with 384 whales found dead along
the Pacific coasts of Mexico, USA and Canada. A similar UME in 1999−2000 was
speculated to have been caused by starvation, but body condition data were not
available to test this hypothesis. Between 2017 and 2019, we used unmanned
aerial vehicles (drones) and photogrammetry methods to measure the body
condition of gray whales in San Ignacio Lagoon, Baja California Sur, Mexico.
Body condition was calculated from the residual of the relationship between
body volume and length. The body condition of gray whales was significantly
lower in 2018 (−11.1%, SE = 1.74, n = 531) and 2019 (−9.7%, SE = 1.76, n = 628)
compared to 2017 (n = 59) for all reproductive classes (calves, juveniles,
adults and lactating females). Overall, lactating females were in good body
condition. The reduction in body condition of whales in 2018−2019 is unlikely
to have affected their survival, but could have reduced their reproductive rate
by prolonging the post-weaning recovery time. This could explain the low number
of mother−calf pairs observed in the San Ignacio Lagoon in 2018 and 2019. For
juveniles and adults that arrived in the lagoons with less energy reserves,
their reduced body condition may have been close to their survival threshold.
This could explain the high proportion of juveniles and adults among the
stranded dead whales in 2019−2020. Although the underlying cause of the
reduction in gray whale body condition is unknown, starvation likely
contributed to the 2019−2020 UME.

Please follow this link to access the full article:
https://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v658/p237-252<https://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v658/p237-252/>/

Best regards,

Fredrik Christiansen

Assistant Professor/Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Aarhus Institute of Advanced Studies
Aarhus University, Denmark
+4531332367
f.christian...@aias.au.dk