Dear all,

We are pleased to share our publication:

Louis M., Skovrind M., Garde E., Heide-Jørgensen M.P., Szpak P., Lorenzen E.D.
2021. Population-specific sex and size variation in long-term foraging ecology
of belugas and narwhals. Royal Society Open Science 8 (2).
https://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.202226

Abstract

Intraspecific variation in resource use by individuals of different age, sex or
size may reflect differing energetic requirements and physiological
constraints. Males and females often show differences in diet owing to sexual
size dimorphism, different life histories and/or habitat use. Here, we
investigate how sex and size influence the long-term foraging ecology of
belugas and narwhals in Greenland, using stable isotopes of carbon and nitrogen
from bone collagen. We show that males have a higher trophic level and a larger
ecological niche than females in West Greenland belugas and in East Greenland
narwhals. In addition, for these two populations, we find that δ15N increases
with size, particularly in males. We hypothesize that sexual size dimorphism
together with strong maternal investment drive these differences. By contrast,
we find no differences in foraging ecology between sexes in West Greenland
narwhals and observe no influence of size on trophic level. This may reflect
the influence of interspecific competition in West Greenland, where the
distributions of belugas and narwhals overlap, and/or geographical resource
partitioning among different summer aggregations of narwhals. Our results
suggest that sex and size variations in diet are population dependent, and
probably the result of varying ecological interactions.

The article is open access and available
at:<https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00227-018-3341-z>
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.202226

On behalf of all co-authors,

Eline and Marie