Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of the
following article:

Marine soundscape variation reveals insights into baleen whales and their
environment: a case study in central New Zealand.
Victoria E. Warren, Craig McPherson, Giacomo Giorli, Kimberly T. Goetz and
Craig A. Radford. Royal Society Open Science, 2021,
https://doi.org/10.1098/rsos.201503

ABSTRACT
Baleen whales reliably produce stereotyped vocalizations, enabling their
spatio-temporal distributions to be inferred from acoustic detections.
Soundscape analysis provides an integrated approach whereby vocal species,
such as baleen whales, are sampled holistically with other acoustic
contributors to their environment. Acoustic elements that occur
concurrently in space, time and/or frequency can indicate overlaps between
free-ranging species and potential stressors. Such information can inform
risk assessment framework models. Here, we demonstrate the utility of
soundscape monitoring in central New Zealand, an area of high cetacean
diversity where potential threats are poorly understood. Pygmy blue whale
calls were abundant in the South Taranaki Bight (STB) throughout recording
periods and were also detected near Kaikōura during autumn. Humpback,
Antarctic blue and Antarctic minke whales were detected in winter and
spring, during migration. Wind, rain, tidal and wave activity increased
ambient sound levels in both deep- and shallow-water environments across a
broad range of frequencies, including those used by baleen whales, and
sound from shipping, seismic surveys and earthquakes overlapped in time,
space and frequency with whale calls. The results highlight the feasibility
of soundscape analysis to quantify and understand potential stressors to
free-ranging species, which is essential for conservation and management
decisions.

The open-access article can be downloaded from
https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsos.201503

You are very welcome to contact me via email (vwar...@aucklanduni.ac.nz) if
you have any questions.

Kind regards,