Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to announce the publication of a new article
published in Scientific
Reports<https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-87514-2>:

2021: Currie, J.J., van Aswegen, M., Stack, S.H., West, K.L., Vivier, F., &
Bejder, L. Rapid weight loss in free ranging pygmy killer whales (Feresa
attenuata) and the implications for anthropogenic disturbance of odontocetes.
Scientific Reports, 11: 8181.

Abstract:
Understanding the impacts of foraging disruptions to odontocete body condition
is fundamental to quantifying biological effects of human disturbance and
environmental changes on cetacean populations. Here, reductions in body volume
of free-ranging pygmy killer whales (Feresa attenuata) were calculated using
repeated measurements of the same individuals obtained through Unoccupied
Aerial System (UAS)-photogrammetry during a prolonged disruption in foraging
activity arising from a 21-day stranding event. Stranded individuals were used
to verify UAS-derived volume and length estimates through 3D-imaging, water
displacement, and post-mortem measurements. We show that (a) UAS estimates of
length were within 1.5% of actual body length and UAS volume estimates were
within 10–13% of actual volume, (b) foraging disruption resulted in a daily
decrease of 2% of total body mass/day, and (c) pygmy killer whales can lose up
to 27% of their total body weight within 17 days. These findings highlight the
use of UAS as a promising new method to remotely monitor changes in body
condition and animal health, which can be used to determine the potential
effects of anthropogenic disturbance and environmental change on free-ranging
odontocetes.

The full article is available to download for free online

Thanks,

Jens Currie

Chief Scientist - Domestic Research Program
Pacific Whale Foundation
300 Ma'alaea Rd., Suite 211
Wailuku, HI 96793
Cell: 808-990-5544