Dear colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I'm pleased to announce our paper just
published in One Earth entitled, "Integral functions of marine vertebrates
in the ocean carbon cycle and climate change mitigation". This is a
comprehensive review of the role of marine mammals and other marine
vertebrates in carbon cycling, which has implications for conservation and
climate change strategies.

greenhouse gas emissions through the carbon (C) cycle, a naturally
occurring process. Aspects of the ocean C cycle are now being incorporated
into climate change mitigation and adaptation plans. Currently, too little
is known about marine vertebrate C functions for their inclusion in
policies. Fortunately, marine vertebrate biology, behavior, and ecology
through the lens of C and nutrient cycling and flux is an emerging area of
research that is rich in existing data. This review uses literature and
trusted data sources to describe marine vertebrate C interactions, provides
quantification where possible, and highlights knowledge gaps. Implications
of better understanding the integral functions of marine vertebrates in the
ocean C cycle include the need for consideration of these functions both in
policies on nature-based climate change mitigation and adaptation, and in
management of marine vertebrate populations.

Link: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2590332221002384

kind regards,
Heidi

Heidi Pearson, Ph.D.