Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share with you our publication
describing an innovative methodology for monitoring the distribution
of marine mammals and their preys by means of environmental DNA
analysis, using ferries as sampling platforms:

Elena Valsecchi, Antonella Arcangeli, Roberto Lombardi, Elizabeth
Boyse, Ian M Carr, Paolo Galli, Simon J Goodman (2021) "Ferries and
environmental DNA: underway sampling from commercial vessels provides
new opportunities for systematic genetic surveys of marine
biodiversity", Front. Mar. Sci., 27 August 2021 |
https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2021.704786

Abstract

Marine environmental DNA (eDNA) is an important tool for biodiversity
research and monitoring but challenges remain in scaling surveys over
large spatial areas, and increasing the frequency of sampling in
remote locations at reasonable cost. Here we demonstrate the
feasibility of sampling from commercial vessels (Mediterranean
ferries) while underway, as a strategy to facilitate replicable,
systematic marine eDNA surveys in locations that would normally be
challenging and expensive for researchers to access. Sixteen eDNA
samples were collected from four fixed sampling stations, and in
response to four cetacean sightings, across three cruises undertaken
along the 300 km ferry route between Livorno (Tuscany) and Golfo
Aranci (Sardinia) in the Ligurian/Tyrrhenian Seas, June-July 2018.
Using 12SrDNA and 16SrDNA metabarcoding markers, we recovered diverse
marine vertebrate Molecular Operational Taxonomic Units (MOTUs) from
teleost fish, elasmobranchs, and cetaceans. We detected sample
heterogeneity consistent with previously known variation in species
occurrences, including putative species spawning peaks associated with
specific sea surface temperature ranges, and increased night time
abundance of bathypelagic species known to undertake diel migrations
through the water column. We suggest commercial vessel based marine
eDNA sampling using the global shipping network has potential to
facilitate broad-scale biodiversity monitoring in the world’s oceans.

You can find the open-access article at this link:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2021.704786/full

We hope you enjoy it!

Elena Valsecchi, PhD

*Marine eDNA Group, MaRHE Center (http://www.marhe.unimib.it/
<http://www.marhe.unimib.it/>)*

*Adjunct Professor of Marine Vertebrate Zoology
(http://www.marinesciences.unimib.it/
<http://www.marinesciences.unimib.it/>)*

*Department of Environmental and Earth Sciences
(**https://www.disat.unimib.it/en <https://www.disat.unimib.it/en>**),
*

*University of Milano-Bicocca. **Piazza della Scienza 1, 20126 Milan, Italy*

*elena.valsec...@unimib.it <elena.valsec...@unimib.it>*