Hello all

JNCC have 2 fantastic opportunities for individuals to work within our Marine
Species team.
Post Title:                               Marine Species Advisor
Ref No:                                    2021/117-118
Grade:                                     H (HEO)
Type of appointment:           1 x Permanent & 1 x 2 year FTA
Location:                                 Peterborough or Aberdeen
Salary:                                                 £28,390

Why JNCC?

We're small enough (c.230 staff) that your voice is heard by everyone including
the CEO, but big enough that we have all the skills, resources and people
you'll need to get the job done. All our staff are passionate about
conservation and making a difference to the world we live in. We have a very
flexible, inclusive and welcoming organisational culture. Our Executive
Management provides advisers with the freedom and tools you will need, and our
friendly team will assist you in your role. You will benefit from our
supportive workplace culture, excellent holiday and pension benefits, as well
as an exciting job in a unique environment.

Post background

The Marine Species Team is responsible for delivery of JNCC's advice on the
conservation of marine species (particularly European Protected Species). JNCC
is responsible for the provision of clear, evidence-based advice to UK and
devolved governments on measures that will be required to meet conservation
targets including obligations under domestic and international instruments.
JNCC works with partners to assess status and develop scientific advice on
management for marine species, including marine mammals and seabirds. Our work
informs the designation and management of Marine Protected Areas in UK waters
and also on impacts of human activities on marine species and the measures
required to mitigate such impacts throughout UK waters.
We are seeking a Marine Species Adviser to support high profile ongoing species
and impacts advice work within JNCC. The post-holder will be expected to take
the lead on tasks and to work closely with others to seek their input where
needed. They will routinely work with colleagues in the Statutory Nature
Conservation Bodies, regulatory agencies, Defra and the Devolved
Administrations. They will also be required to support work on national and
international reporting where necessary.

Job Description:
Post Duties

  *   Work with JNCC and country agency staff to provide advice to
Government(s) on issues relating to the conservation of marine mammals.
·         Support the production of marine mammal conservation status
assessments and other reports relating to the UK's international conservation
commitments, such as those under OSPAR and ASCOBANS.
·         Organisation of project and/or partnership meetings and events,
providing secretariat functions where these are necessary, and producing papers
and giving presentations when appropriate.
·         Working with staff in the JNCC Marine Species Team, and other teams,
identifying opportunities to develop new work areas and supporting preparation
of project specifications and bids.
·         Support wider Marine Species Team and cross team working (e.g. noise
and marine mammal tasks for the Marine Management Team).

Technical

To be a successful candidate you will be/have:

  *   Strong background in the science and ecology of marine mammals
  *   Knowledge of the main provisions of UK/international marine conservation
policy relevant to marine mammals and turtles
  *   Competent user of GIS to manipulate, interrogate and interpret spatial
datasets
  *   Knowledge of marine industries, such as offshore renewable energy and
fisheries
  *   Experience of using data manipulation and analysis software, such as R
  *   Experience of drafting technical documentation and bid writing
  *   Experience of project development and strategic thinking

Behaviours

·         Working Together

·         Communicating and Influencing

·         Making Effective Decisions

·         Changing and Improving

·         Delivering at Pace

In the event that we receive a large volume of applications we reserve the
right to conduct the sift based on the lead behaviour of Working Together

Please see the CS Behaviours framework for more details at this grade:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_<https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/717275/CS_Behaviours_2018.pdf>data/file/717275/CS_Behaviours_2018.pdf
these positions can be found on the Civil Service Job
site<https://www.civilservicejobs.service.gov.uk/csr/index.cgi?SID=cGFnZWFjdGlvbj12aWV3dmFjYnlqb2JsaXN0JnNlYXJjaF9zbGljZV9jdXJyZW50PTEmdXNlcnNlYXJjaGNvbnRleHQ9MTQxNzI4MzM3JmNzb3VyY2U9Y3Nxc2VhcmNoJm93bmVyPTUwNzAwMDAmcGFnZWNsYXNzPUpvYnMmam9ibGlzdF92aWV3X3ZhYz0xNzU2MDg1Jm93bmVydHlwZT1mYWlyJnJlcXNpZz0xNjM2OTgzMjk5LTM0NjdmMmM2YmZjNjAwYTdiYWY2ZjkzNGU3OTA1OWIwZjY2ZDNiOWE=>