Dear MARMAM colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share our new publication exploring
relationships between oceanographic conditions and common dolphin
bycatch risk in the Bay of Biscay (Northeast Atlantic) in Marine Ecology
Progress Series, Vol 679 :

Gilbert L, Rouby E, Tew-Kaï E, Spitz J, Peltier H, Quilfen V, Authier M
(2021) Spatiotemporal models highlight influence of oceanographic
conditions on common dolphin bycatch risk in the Bay of Biscay

ABSTRACT: The population of short-beaked common dolphins Delphinus
delphis of the Bay of Biscay (northeast Atlantic) has been subjected to
potentially dangerous levels of bycatch since the 1990s. As the
phenomenon intensifies, it represents a potent threat to the population.
Here, we investigated the relationship between bycatch mortality and
oceanographic processes. We assumed that oceanographic processes
spatiotemporally structure the availability and aggregation of prey,
creating areas prone to attract both common dolphins and fish targeted
by fisheries. We used 2 datasets from 2012 to 2019: oceanographic data
resulting from a circulation model and mortality data inferred from
strandings. The latter allows location of mortality areas and
quantification of the intensity of mortality events at sea. We fitted a
series of spatiotemporal hierarchical Bayesian models using integrated
nested Laplace approximations (INLA). Results provided first insights on
how bycatch of common dolphins in the Bay of Biscay might be related to
key seasonal and dynamic oceanographic features. We showed that from a
statistical predictive point of view, the monthly trend of 2019 bycatch
mortality could be predicted with few oceanographic covariates. This
study highlights how gaining knowledge about environmental influences on
interactions between short-beaked common dolphins and fisheries could
have great conservation and management value. Identified relationships
with oceanographic covariates were complex, as
expected given the dynamic aspects of oceanographic processes, dolphins
and fisheries distributions. Further research focusing on smaller time
scales is needed to elucidate proximal drivers of common dolphin bycatch
in the Bay of Biscay.

Access to the article here:
https://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v679/p195-212/

Please feel free to contact me at lola.gilb...@univ-lr.fr for a full