Dear MARMAM colleagues,

On behalf of the co-authors, I am pleased to share our new publication. This is
one of the resulting papers of the Doctoral thesis of Jaime Bolaños, exploring
the residency patterns of common bottlenose dolphins and their effect in the
parameters of a coastal population in the Southwestern Gulf of Mexico.

Bolaños-Jiménez J., Morteo E., Delfín-Alfonso C.A., Fruet P.F., Secchi E.R. and
Bello-Pineda J. 2021. Population Dynamics Reveal a Core Community of the Common
Bottlenose Dolphin (Tursiops truncatus) in Open Waters of the South-Western
Gulf of Mexico. Front. Mar. Sci. 8:753484. ISSN: 2296-7745, doi:
10.3389/fmars.2021.753484

Abstract:

The presence of transient and temporary individuals in capture-mark-recapture
studies may violate the assumption on equal catchability, and thus yield biased
estimates. We investigated the effects of residency patterns on population
parameters of bottlenose dolphins inhabiting the coastal waters off the
Alvarado Lagoon System (ALS), Veracruz, Mexico. We hypothesized that this
population is open but there exists a “core community” that behaves as a closed
population. Between 2006 and 2010, we conducted 75 photo-identification surveys
and recorded 263 dolphin group encounters, in which 231 dolphins were
identified. Individuals present during only one season, classified as
transients (n = 85), were excluded from the study, and a standardized residency
index (IH4) was computed for each dolphin that remained in the sample (n =
146). We used the K-means clustering method to split the sample into groups
based on individual (seasonal, annual) IH4 values. These clusters were named as
regular residents (RR, n = 55), occasional residents (OR, n = 45), and
occasional visitors (OV, n = 46). The cumulative frequency of newly identified
individuals displayed an asymptotic trend for the whole sample and all
clusters, indicating that most of the individuals present in the study area
during the study period were identified. The assumption of demographic closure
was tested to define the core community, and was rejected for the whole sample
and the OV cluster (p < 0.001 in both cases), indicating that the population is
open. The closure assumption was not rejected for RR and OR clusters (χ2 =
6.88, DF = 13, p = 0.91, and χ2 = 17.8, DF = 16, p = 0.33, respectively),
indicating that these clusters were demographically closed over the 5-year
period. Thus, we defined this aggregation of individuals as the “core
community”. The closed population model Mth indicated that the total abundance
of this core community was 123 individuals (95% CI: 114–133). Our results
provide quantitative evidence of the existence of a core community in open
waters of the Gulf of Mexico, and points toward residency pattern as a main
driver of population dynamics. These results highlight the importance of
considering residency patterns when dealing with heterogeneity in the sample of
a highly mobile species.

Full text and PDF versions are available at:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2021.753484/full?utm_source=F-NTF&utm_medium=EMLX&utm_campaign=PRD_FEOPS_20170000_ARTICLE

<https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmars.2021.753484/full?utm_source=F-NTF&utm_medium=EMLX&utm_campaign=PRD_FEOPS_20170000_ARTICLE>

Feel free to contact me at eduardo.mor...@gmail.com
<mailto:eduardo.mor...@gmail.com> if you have questions or comments.

Cheers!

Dr. Eduardo Morteo

Director

Instituto de Investigaciones Biológicas
Universidad Veracruzana

Calle Dr. Castelazo Ayala S/N, Col. Industrial Ánimas
CP 91190, Xalapa, Veracruz, México.

Ph/Tel: +52 (228) 841 89 00
E-mail: emor...@uv.mx

http://www.uv.mx/personal/emorteo/