Dear MARMAM colleagues,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am excited to share our new publication. We
measured the microplastic exposure of Bryde’s and Sei whales in the Hauraki
Gulf of New Zealand and inferred whether this exposure comes from the
environment or the food.

Zantis L.J., Bosker T., Lawler F., Nelms S.E., O’Rorke R., Constantine R.,
Sewell M. and E.L. Carroll, 2021. Assessing microplastic exposure of large
marine filter-feeders. Science of the Total Environment, 151815,
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.151815

Abstract:
Large filter-feeding animals are potential sentinels for understanding the
extent of microplastic pollution, as their mode of foraging and prey mean they
are continuously sampling the environment. However, there is considerable
uncertainty about the total and mode of exposure (environmental vs trophic).
Here, we explore microplastic exposure and ingestion by baleen whales feeding
year-round in coastal Auckland waters, New Zealand. Plastic and DNA were
extracted concurrently from whale scat, with 32 ± 24 (mean ± SD, n = 21)
microplastics per 6 g scat sample detected. Using a novel stochastic simulation
modeling incorporating new and previously published DNA diet information, we
extrapolate this to total microplastic exposure levels of 24,028 (95% CI: 2119,
69,270) microplastics per mouthful of prey, or 3,408,002 microplastics (95% CI:
295,810, 10,031,370) per day, substantially higher than previous estimates for
large filter-feeding animals. Critically, we find that the total exposure is
four orders of magnitude more than expected from microplastic measurements of
local coastal surface waters. This suggests that trophic transfer, rather than
environmental exposure, is the predominant mode of exposure of large filter
feeders for microplastic pollution. Measuring plastic concentration from the
environment alone significantly underestimates exposure levels, an important
consideration for future risk assessment studies.

Full text and PDF are available at:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969721068911?via%3Dihub

Please feel free to contact me at
zantislauraju...@gmail.com<mailto:zantislauraju...@gmail.com> if you have any
questions or comments, or would like a copy of the PDF.

Best wishes,
Laura Zantis

PhD Candidate, Department of Environmental Biology
Institute of Environmental Sciences (CML) | Leiden University

e: l.j.zan...@cml.leidenuniv.nl<mailto:l.j.zan...@cml.leidenuniv.nl> | t:
@ZantisLaura
w: https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/staffmembers/laura-julia-zantis