Dear MARMAM readers,
On behalf of my coauthors and myself, I am pleased to share the recent
publication of these two short notes with you.
- López A., Vázquez U. and Covelo, P. 2021. First record of a melanistic grey
seal (Halichoerus grypus) in Galicia (NW Spain). Galemys, Spanish Journal of
Mammalogy 33:61-63.

Between December and February of each year, 2-3 months old grey seals arrive to
northern Spain from breeding colonies located in the British Isles. This note
documents the first melanistic grey seal recorded in thirty years of operation
of the Galician stranding network, a pup male that died entangled in a gillnet.
Pdf file availabe at: https://doi.org/10.7325/Galemys.2021.N7

- Covelo P. and López A. 2021. First record of dwarf sperm whale (Kogia sima)
in the north of Spain. Galemys, Spanish Journal of Mammalogy 33: 64-68.

In the east Atlantic the dwarf sperm whale distribution range goes from South
Africa to Portugal, with some extra-limital records reported in the last
decades. This note describes the first record in the north of Spain, the
stranding of a live adult male and his subsequent death, including body and
skull measurements.
Pdf file available at: <https://doi.org/10.7325/Galemys.2021.N8>
https://doi.org/10.7325/Galemys.2021.N8

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.
Kind regards,
Alfredo