Dear Colleagues,
 On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to share our new paper 'Low
resighting rate of entangled humpback whales within the California, Oregon,
and Washington region based on photo-identification and long-term life
history data' by Jennifer Tackaberry, Elana Dobson, Kiirsten Regina Flynn,
Ted Cheeseman, John Calambokidis, published in Frontiers in Marine Science,
section Marine Megafauna.

It was published open access and is available at:
https://doi.org/10.3389/fmars.2021.779448

Abstract:
Bycatch, commonly referred to as entanglement, is a leading source of
human-caused mortality of baleen whales. A better understanding of the
individuals that survive (or perish from) their entanglement can help
reduce the risk of bycatch by informing gear modifications and fisheries
management. However, determining survival rates is restricted by the
ability to track individuals once they become entangled. Historically, the
effort to identify and resight individuals from known entanglement cases
was low along the West Coast. The recent increase of entanglements and
photo-identification efforts in the California, Oregon, and Washington
region provides an opportunity to assess entangled humpback whales’
resighting rates to better understand the effect of entanglements from the
individual to the population level. We used photo-ID images of entangled
humpback whales between 1982 and 2017 to examine pre- and post-entanglement
sighting histories from longitudinal catalogs and life history data
(Cascadia Research and Happywhale). We compared the entangled whales (n =
37) against control whales (n = 2,296), selected based on the date and
location of the entanglement reports, to evaluate the deviation from the
expected mortality rates (or lack of resighting) caused by entanglements
and to help inform/support/test National Oceanic and Atmospheric
Association’s Serious Injury and Mortality (SI/M) index. Our results
suggest that entangled whales were resighted less often than the control
groups. Entangled whales with short pre-entanglement sighting histories and
without post-entanglement resights did not match other feeding ground
populations. Therefore, the higher proportion of entanglements with shorter
sighting histories is likely due to their being alive for fewer years,
indicating a higher risk of entanglement for younger whales. This indicates
that entangled humpback whales may not be as large or strong as mature
individuals, and future gear modifications should reflect that possibility.
Additionally, the severity of the initial SI/M score aligned well with our
resighting rates, though this worsened with the final score assigned.
Continued effort to gather and improve data collection about entanglements
will help enhance the SI/M determinations. Our findings show the value of
photo-identification of entangled whales and how it dramatically increases
our understanding of entanglements.

All the best,
 Jenn Tackaberry

--