Dear colleagues,

My co-authors and I are pleased to share our recent paper published in Current
Biology on the consequences of foraging strategies of Galapagos sea lions:

Schwarz, J. F. L., DeRango, E. J., Zenth, F., Kalberer, S., Hoffman, J. I.,
Mews, S., Piedrahita, P., Trillmich, F., Páez-Rosas, D., Thiboult, A., &
Krüger, O. (2022). A stable foraging polymorphism buffers Galapagos sea lions
against environmental change. Current Biology,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2022.02.007
<https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2022.02.007>

Abstract: Understanding the ability of animals to cope with a changing
environment is critical in a world affected by anthropogenic disturbance.
Individual foraging strategies may influence the coping ability of entire
populations, as these strategies can be differently adapted to contrasting
conditions, allowing populations with foraging polymorphisms to be more
resilient toward environmental change. However, environmentally dependent
fitness consequences of individual foraging strategies and their effects on
population dynamics have not been conclusively documented. Here, we use
biologging data from endangered Galápagos sea lion females (Zalophus
wollebaeki) to show that benthically foraging individuals dig after
sand-dwelling prey species while pelagic foragers hunt in more open waters.
These specialized foraging behaviours result in distinct and temporally stable
patterns of vibrissae abrasion. Using vibrissae length as a visual marker for
the benthic versus pelagic foraging strategies, we furthermore uncovered an
environment-dependent fitness trade-off between benthic and pelagic foragers,
suggesting that the foraging polymorphism could partially buffer the population
against the negative effects of climate change. However, demographic
projections suggest that this buffering effect is unlikely to be sufficient to
reverse the ongoing population decline of the past four decades. Our study
hence shows how crucial a deeper understanding of behavioural polymorphisms can
be for predicting how populations cope within a rapidly changing world.

A video abstract can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYx_TkPQiKY&t=44s
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYx_TkPQiKY&t=44s>

The article is available until the 21st of April via this link:
https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1egY%7E3QW8R%7EbXx
<https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1egY~3QW8R~bXx>

Best,
Jonas Schwarz