Dear MARMAN Subscribers,

On behalf of my co-authors, I am pleased to announce the publication of our
new research in Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems.

Dias, I., Marçalo, A., Feijó, D., Domingues, I. & Silva, A. (2022).
Interactions between the common dolphin, Delphinus delphis, and the
Portuguese purse seine fishery over a period of 15 years (2003–2018).
Aquatic Conservation Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems. DOI:
10.1002/aqc.3828.

 Abstract 1. Interactions between cetaceans and the purse seine fishery in
coastal waters of mainland Portugal were investigated using onboard
observations over a period of 15 years (2003–2018). In 10% of the fishing
sets, there were interactions with one of three species of cetaceans:
common dolphin (Delphinus delphis), bottlenose dolphin (Tursiops
truncatus), and harbour porpoise (Phocoena phocoena). The common dolphin
was the most frequently observed species, occurring in 89% of all
interaction events, and the only species with observed mortality.
Therefore, this study focused only on the interactions with common
dolphins. 2. A generalized additive model (GAM) was applied to observer
data to investigate how the fishing activity and the abundance of small
pelagic fish influenced the probability of occurrence of interactions
between the common dolphin and the purse seine fishery between 2003 and
2018. The results revealed significant annual and geographic variation in
the occurrence of interactions, and a significant influence of fishing
effort and catch per unit effort of sardine (Sardina pilchardus). 3. A
second GAM in a hurdle model was used to model the number of common
dolphins that interacted with the fishing activity as a function of fishing
seasonality and the local abundance of pelagic fish. There was a
significant effect of the seasonality of the fishing activity and catch per
unit effort of sardine and chub mackerel (Scomber colias) on the number of
common dolphins interacting with the fishery. 4. The results of this study
suggest that the probability of interactions and the number of common
dolphins interacting with the fishery were affected by the local abundance
of sardine and chub mackerel. 5. As the common dolphin population appears
to be increasing in the study area, the risk of by-catch also increases,
thus the monitoring of the Portuguese purse seine fishery is important to
inform the implementation of management plans, and also as a response to
global efforts for sustainable fisheries and marine mammal conservation.

The full paper may be accessed via this link:
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/aqc.3828 or upon request.

Kind Regards,
Ana

Ana Marçalo, PhD
Fisheries biologist; Researcher/Assistant Professor
email: amarc...@ualg.pt; amarc...@gmail.com

CCMAR - Centro de Ciências do Mar, Universidade do Algarve
Campus de Gambelas, 8005-139 Faro, Portugal
Office: L 23
*https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/users/amarcalo
<https://www.ccmar.ualg.pt/users/amarcalo>*

https:// <https://www.facebook.com/inovpesca>www.raalg.pt /Algarve