Dear colleagues,

We are happy to announce the publication of our paper:

Sousa, A., Coelho, R. E., Costa, H., Lourenço, T. C., Azevedo, N. M. J., &
Santos, C. F. (2022). Integrated climate, ecological and socioeconomic
scenarios for the whale watching sector. Science of The Total Environment,
159589.

Abstract
Unprecedented human induced changes to the climate system have already
contributed to a variety of observed impacts to both ecosystems and
populations. Decision-makers demand impact assessments at the
regional-to-local scale to be able to plan and define effective climate
action measures. Integrated socio-ecological assessments that properly
consider system uncertainties require the use of prospective scenarios that
project potential climate impacts, while accounting for sectoral exposure
and adaptive capacity. Here we provide an integrated assessment of climate
change to the whale watching sector by: 1) extending the European Shared
Socio-economic Pathways (Eur-SSPs) and developing four whale watching SSP
narratives (WW-SSPs) and 2) characterize each key element comprised in the
WW-SSPs for the time period 2025–2055. We applied this approach in a case
study for the Macaronesia region where we developed scenarios which
integrate the socio-economic (WW-SSPs), climate (RCPs) and ecological
(species' thermal suitability responses) dimensions of whale watching.
These scenarios were used by local stakeholders to identify the level of
preparedness of the whale watching sector. When confronted with scenarios
that combine this ecological dimension with projected climate changes and
the four different socioeconomic narratives, stakeholders assessed the
whale watching sector in Macaronesia as being somewhat prepared for a
Sustainable World and a Fossil Fuel Development World, but somewhat
unprepared for a Rivalry World. No consensus was reached regarding the
sector's preparedness level under an Inequality World scenario. Our study
demonstrates the importance of considering multiple dimensions when
assessing the potential challenges posed by climate change and provides a
needed resource to help the whale watching sector in Macaronesia, and
elsewhere, in its effort to devise efficient climate action policies and
strategies.

Our paper in available at: https://authors.elsevier.com/a/1f-vQB8ccutV8

Best,

Andreia Sousa

*Community art and science project for ocean conservation (432Hz
<https://project432hz.webnode.pt/>)*

*Whale watching and climate change project (WHALES CLIMATE
<https://sites.google.com/view/whales-climate/home>)*

*Climate Change Impacts Adaptation and Modelling* *(CCIAM
<http://ce3c.ciencias.ulisboa.pt/team/CCIAM>)*
*Centre for Ecology Evolution and Environmental Changes*
*(CE3C <http://ce3c.fc.ul.pt/>)Associação para a Investigação e
Desenvolvimento de Ciências* *(FC.ID <http://www.fciencias-id.pt/>)*

Faculty of Sciences, University of Lisbon, Portugal Phone: +351 217 500
000, line 21403

Skype ID: andreiagsousa