Dear MARMAM community,

On behalf of my former student, MSc Israel Huesca-Dominguez, I am pleased
to announce the publication of his thesis "Variation and sensitivity of
residency and site fidelity estimates for dolphin capture-recapture data”,
which was successfully defended last September.

The resulting scientific manuscripts of the chapters of his thesis will
soon be available; thus we will let you know the electronic links for
proper citation.

In the meantime, please follow the link to have full access to his
(translated) thesis (in English):

(PDF) Variation and sensitivity of residency and site fidelity estimates
for dolphin capture-recapture data
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/365186128_Variation_and_sensitivity_of_residency_and_site_fidelity_estimates_for_dolphin_capture-recapture_data>
researchgate.net
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/365186128_Variation_and_sensitivity_of_residency_and_site_fidelity_estimates_for_dolphin_capture-recapture_data>
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/365186128_Variation_and_sensitivity_of_residency_and_site_fidelity_estimates_for_dolphin_capture-recapture_data>

Cita (SP): Huesca-Domínguez I. 2022. Variación y sensibilidad de
estimaciones de residencia y fidelidad al sitio para datos de
captura-recaptura en delfines. Tesis de Maestría en Biología Integrativa.
Cum laude. Instituto de Investigaciones Biológicas Universidad Veracruzana.
Xalapa Veracruz. 100 pp. 27 de septiembre de 2022.

Citation (EN): Huesca-Domínguez I. 2022. Variation and sensitivity of
residency and site fidelity estimates for dolphin capture-recapture data.
Thesis. Cum laude. Master in Integrative Biology. Instituto de
Investigaciones Biológicas Universidad Veracruzana. Xalapa Veracruz. 100
pp. September 27th, 2022

You may find the abstract below.

Abstract: Residency and site fidelity are important parameters in the
population ecology of many species as they indicate temporal and spatial
use of individuals. Cetaceans with well-defined patterns of residency and
site fidelity may be more vulnerable to anthropogenic disturbances and the
study of these parameters makes it possible to assess such impacts. However
due to interspecific differences and logistical restrictions for the study
of cetaceans there is no consensus on the definitions and ways to evaluate
these parameters. This project investigated the factors that influence
measurements of residency and site fidelity in dolphins through a
retrospective ~20 year (1990-2019) literature review. Simulations of
capture-recapture histories based on real scenarios of wild populations of
dolphins were used to evaluate residency metrics by varying the parameters
in a JollySeber model. We found 30 indicators of residency where 20 were
based on capture-recapture data and 8 contained categories. These main
differences were associated with patterns of temporal use and the
thresholds for classifying individuals. Simulations showed sensitivity to
different survival estimates in addition to those of already known
catchability. Indicators of site fidelity were more consistent with each
other and the best performing indicators of residency combined monthly
seasonal and annual data. These findings show the need for paradigm shifts
to create comprehensive standardized and generalized definitions of
residency which can be compared across different populations of marine
mammals around the world.

Kind regards,

Dr. Eduardo Morteo
Director

Instituto de Investigaciones Biológicas
Universidad Veracruzana

Calle Dr. Castelazo Ayala S/N, Col. Industrial Ánimas
CP 91190, Xalapa, Veracruz, México.

Ph/Tel: +52 (228) 841 89 00
E-mail: emor...@uv.mx

http://www.uv.mx/personal/emorteo/