Dear colleagues,

We are pleased to inform you that our article "Assessing data bias in
visual surveys from a cetacean monitoring programme" is now available
online on Scientific Data.

Oliveira-Rodrigues, C., Correia, A.M., Valente, R., Gil, Á., Gandra, M.,
Liberal, M., Rosso, M., Pierce, G. & Sousa-Pinto, I. Assessing data bias in
visual surveys from a cetacean monitoring programme. Sci Data 9, 682
(2022). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41597-022-01803-7

Abstract: Long-term monitoring datasets are fundamental to understand
physical and ecological responses to environmental changes, supporting
management and conservation. The data should be reliable, with the sources
of bias identified and quantified. CETUS Project is a cetacean monitoring
programme in the Eastern North Atlantic, based on visual methods of data
collection. This study aims to assess data quality and bias in the CETUS
dataset, by 1) applying validation methods, through photographic
confirmation of species identification; 2) creating data quality criteria
to evaluate the observer’s experience; and 3) assessing bias to the number
of sightings collected and to the success in species identification.
Through photographic validation, the species identification of 10 sightings
was corrected and a new species was added to the CETUS dataset. The number
of sightings collected was biased by external factors, mostly by sampling
effort but also by weather conditions. Ultimately, results highlight the
importance of identifying and quantifying data bias, while also yielding
guidelines for data collection and processing, relevant for species
monitoring programmes based on visual methods.

Best regards,
Cláudia Rodrigues