Dear all,
My Co-authors and I are pleased to announce and share our recent paper
titled:
"Combining Monitoring Approaches as a Tool to Assess the Occurrence of the
Mediterranean Monk Seal in Samos Island, Greece"

Pietroluongo, G.; Martín-Montalvo, B.Q.; Ashok, K.; Miliou, A.; Fosberry,
J.; Antichi, S.; Moscatelli, S.; Tsimpidis, T.; Carlucci, R.; Azzolin, M.
Combining Monitoring Approaches as a Tool to Assess the Occurrence of the
Mediterranean Monk Seal in Samos Island, Greece. *Hydrobiology* *2022*, 1,
440-450. https://doi.org/10.3390/hydrobiology1040026

*Abstract*
With a current global estimation of 600–700 individuals, *Monachus monachus*
is considered among the most threatened seal species globally and is ranked
as “Endangered” by the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. The
Mediterranean distribution of the species is fragmented, and the largest
known sub-population inhabits its easternmost areas. The present study
analyses the occurrence of *M. monachus* on Samos Island, in the
north-eastern Aegean Sea, Greece. From May 2017 to November 2019, data were
collected through a combination of monitoring approaches, including visual
monitoring from a land position, opportunistic sightings collected by
citizen science, and data of stranded individuals. Results indicate the
constant occurrence of monk seals in the waters and coastal areas of Samos
Island, confirming the importance of this area for conservation purposes.
Furthermore, the results show that an integrated methodological approach
can contribute to enhancing and increasing data collection, representing an
effective method for conservation studies. This approach could be applied
in other locations, allowing the scientific community to identify regions
of interest, where to expand targeted monitoring and apply conservation
measures.

The paper can be accessed here:
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-9917/1/4/26/htm

Don't hesitate to contact us for any further information.
Many thanks
Dr Guido Pietroluongo

 ~

Department of Comparative Biomedicine and Food Science (BCA),
Università degli Studi di Padova, Italy
Archipelagos Institute of Marine Conservation, Greece, www.archipelago.gr